Anchor "catchphrases"

Guest cfif

What are some of the anchor "catchphrases" at your market?

The only one I can think of is WTVT's Denise White, who says at noon and [sometimes] 5, without fail, "Good Afternoon everyone, I'm Denise White."

WTKR...

Barbara Ciara's annoying, "Thanks for the company."

WAVY...

(not really a catchphrase) Every Monday night at 11 on "the plays of the week", Bruce Rader always makes fun of Les Smith.

"Thanks for the company." -Barbara Ciara, WTKR (apparently she did it at WVEC, too... http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pilot/issues/1997/vp970206/02060039.htm "Locally, Ciara ends her newscasts on Channel 13 with the casual ``thanks for the company.''")

"And Les Smith was at the game..." -Bruce Rader, WAVY; poking fun at anchor Les Smith during the Monday "Plays of the Week" where there's a clip of a crazy sports fan.

And of course...

-Marvin Zindler, KTRK

WTKR...

Babra Ciara's annoying, "Thanks for the company."

WAVY...

(not really a catchphrase) Every Monday night at 11 on "the plays of the week", Bruce Rader always makes fun of Les Smith.

(After the "Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.") Darn, you beat me...

Not exactly an anchor catchphrase, but during Richard Ransom's tenure at WMC-TV in Memphis (before joining WREG), he was known for his "CLEAN UP!" catchphrase during his Food for Thought segments. He still does it occasionally, but I haven't seen or heard him say it since he joined channel 3.

WAVY...

And Bruce always introduces the final clip with a wrestling highlight, which follows a sports scuffle. For example, "See these hockey players wrestling...but wait a minute, hockey players don't wrestle (everyone on set), wrestlers wrestle!"

KDKA's Patrice King Brown says something like "have a plesant evening" and at the end of the 11pm news she says the very last words with "Letterman's next".

As far as closes (which I don't think is what the OP had in mind...)

Stacy Smith's "That is the news for now, now stay tuned for _____" and the dreadful "And DO take care!" courtesy of WTSP's Reginald Roundtree.

As far as catchphrases, Jeff Verszyla, KDKA's chief, has a penchant for the phrase "What's on tap tonight," as far as the evening's forecast.

WTVY

Erika Kurre-"hey, i know its late, but thanks for staying up with us tonight"..."im so proud you're still awake, and hey, we have a lot more ahead tonight on News 4" & when theyre going to commercial "Stay close"

WJHG

Neysa Wilkins- "we're out of time...goodn..*master control takesover*"

For WQAD.

"Good Evening I'm Matt Hammill, and I'm Michelle Aguyo (a-y-oh), Thanks for joining us"

Heres what Neil Kastor says for the 4:00 PM weather update.

"Good afternoon everyone, from the Storm Track 8000 weather center, Im chief meteorologist Neil Kastor."

Larry Connors, KMOV:

Open: Good Evening. Thank you for joining us. (or something similar)

Close: This is News4, St. Louis (director holds closes until Larry says it...)

Rick Edlund, KPLR:

Tonight on CW11 News...

Jerry Taff, formerly of WISN

"Good Night and Better Tomorrows."

I can't remember, but there is a story behind the phrase.

When Bruce Hamilton anchored NewsCenter 2 at 11 on WESH he had a similar signoff... "Have a goodnight tonight and a better day tommorrow."

Steve Eager, KDFW:

Always mentions the fact that "It's 9 O'Clock" when he introduces himself on the late news.

(My favorite) Shepard Smith, Fox News Channel

[great use of language irony]

"It's the bottom of the hour. Time for the top of the news..."

Gustavo Almodovar, GAR, WFTV Orlando- "In (name the city or town), Gusta-vo Al-mo-do-var, Channel 9 Eyewitness News". You can tell English was not his first language.

This isn't really geared toward anyone but WPVI or really most traditional ABC O&OS sign-off naming every anchor assigned to that newscast and if they aren't there they still mention them.

For example one typical signoff from WPVI's 5pm Action News broadcast from around 2003. "For Rick Williams, Gary Papa, David Murphy, Lisa Thomas-Laury (out on disability), Scott Palmer (off), Cecily Tynan (maternity leave), Dave Roberts (off), and the entire Action News team, I'm Monica Malpass have a good night.

Sam Champion (before his full-time GMA gig) usually started his Eyewitness News forecasts with "Let's walk over to the wall..."

And over a shot of Central Park, this was a common exchange...

Champion: "From high atop the ABC SU-perstudio..."

Sade Baderinwa: "That's super!"

Did Barbara Ciara start the trend? I don't think Wanda Starke at WXII ("Appreciate your company") and Larry Stogner at WTVD ("Thanks for the company") have always used that signoff.

Others...

Cameron Kent (WXII): "Thanks for making us your choice for local news."

Bob Vernon (WLFL): "[variation of "The news"] starts.... RIIIIGHT NOWWWW." Common signoffs included "Have a good night tonight and a great day all day tomorrow" and "Night y'all!"

Mike Solarte (WLFL Sports): "And welcome aboard." Also had sportsy stuff like "___ on his horse. Horse not pictured!"

Steve Swienckowski (WLFL Weather): Often said "There are no raindrops on that baby!" when referring to the 5-day. Also fond of the term "weather geek."

Tom Suiter (WRAL Sports): "Let's ROLL the VIDEO tape."

Dennis Carter (WSET Sports): Always calls Appomattox High School "DA RRRAAAIDAAS!!!" Maybe he has some connection to them?

Mike Stevens (WDBJ Sports): On the tease, always says "And this is Mike Stevens back in the News 7 Sports Office." At least since Steve Mason was around, the entire sports team always emphasized the tagout "NEWsseven Sports."

Lengendary (for the Tennessee area) Chris Clark/WTVF (CBS) NewsChannel 5

Before signing off from a 9:30pm news update, inviting viewers to watch the 10:00 report "...I'll (The Eye/CBS) See (The Eye/CBS) You Then!!"

Former (Highly-esteem and popular) News Anchor Kim Hindrew/WMC (NBC) Action News 5

At the end of the news broadcast..."Thanks for making us a part of your day." She started that catch phrase upon returning to WMC TV for a second stint from 1995-2000. It caught on with other female anchors who continue at the station.

Archived