KTRK's Live at Five @ 30

HoustonTVNews

I generally watch Live at Five more so than any other 5pm news in town. The talent on Live at Five definitely stands out more so than other talent in town. Art Rascon (former CBS Evening News correspondent) and Melanie Lawson (Houston born and raised, the town knows her really well). They really make a great team. Good chemistry. I'd like to see Melanie anchor 6 and 10 personally. I'm willing to bet that she was offered Shara Fryer's position, but turned it down because of the hours, which is understandable.

got it to finally work for me....all I can say is WOW!! Jan Carson, Dave Ward, Marvin Zindler, Bob Allen and the newly retired Ed Brandon....such memories and the happy talk format of the late 1970's. I was sitting there watching this and one thing struck me as funny....Jan has a rather thick Texas accent in this clip...but when she came over to KPRC in the early 80's she lost the accent totally. and very funky sounding theme music.

thanks to KTRK for putting up that vid and congrats on 30 years of Live At Five

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see Melanie anchor 6 and 10 personally. I'm willing to bet that she was offered Shara Fryer's position, but turned it down because of the hours, which is understandable.

I would as well, she has a great on-air personality. However, I think part of Gina Gaston's contract (when she returned to the station in 2001 or 2002) was that she would be moved up to primary co-anchor (that Shara Fryar wasn't going anywhere was the reason she left the first time for MSNBC back in 1999 or so). Anyway, when Shara's illness came along and she cut back her hours, Gina was primed and ready to move up.

Additionally, Melanie Lawson has early stage Multiple Sclerosis, something which she has talked about at length on air in the past (specifically, I remember, around the time the Chron's society editor Maxine Mesinger died from complications arising from MS).

Oh...and its good to be back. Dunno why I was blocked for about 5 months, but I'm back.

I'd like to see Melanie anchor 6 and 10 personally. I'm willing to bet that she was offered Shara Fryer's position, but turned it down because of the hours, which is understandable.

Additionally, Melanie Lawson has early stage Multiple Sclerosis, something which she has talked about at length on air in the past (specifically, I remember, around the time the Chron's society editor Maxine Mesinger died from complications arising from MS).

Sorry to hear that.

Archived