Les Smith Quits WAVY

Ntropolis

I know everyone is sick of hearing about our market, but this isn't some reporter that's only been here for a couple years, but rather an anchor on WAVY who's been there for YEARS...

From VARTV:

:// Shocker!!, Less of Les

| Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Loooongtime LIN TV WAVY (10/NBC) Anchor Les Smith quit the station this afternoon after a meeting at 3:30 in the newsroom. His resignation comes two days before the all important May TV sweeps for TV stations across the country.

According to his old bio WAVY.com (we saved the page about 30 minutes before it disappeared) says Smith joined WAVY in 1985, but quickly moved to the weekend anchor chair. In 1992, he joined the anchor team on "WAVY News 10 at Five," and in 1993 assumed his then current duties as 5:30 pm, 6:00 pm and 11:00 pm. co-anchor.

Very shocking... more as it develops.

I have two questions,

Who took his co-anchor spot for todays 5:30 pm, 6:00 pm and 11:00 pm newscasts?

Did the other anchors confirmed to told the viewers of his departure?

I wasn't really paying attention... David Nelson filled in at 6. The 11pm newscast hasn't happened yet :)

Could we be seeing him somewhere else in the hampton roads market? (WVEC, please not WTKR.)

Actually, he could help WTKR... new, familiar, GOOD people is what they need. I have a feeling that new WTKR ND Nancy Nydam (who saved WGCL in Atlanta from going under, even though they still suck today) may have lured him over there or something. Once Nancy arrived, the first thing she did was make the reporters stop saying "reporting live from the (city) mobile newsroom." that was only when she was interim ND... now, she's permanent. Maybe she could be the woman that will save WTKR, I don't know.

It may be a new contender in the Hampton Roads news race.

A new contender? Nope... they were the king of local TV 15 years ago... they just need to get back in the game. What they should do is bring back "News 3." Bringing back a familiar, old brand worked for WVEC (Spirit of Hampton Roads).

They need to get rid of In-Sink....I HATE In-Sink!

Newsforce or Image News would sound good.

They've killed In-Sink over the past 4 1/2 years... I'd like to hear something different. How about one of the Your Brain on Music packages? I really like Frequency and Lighthouse.

That is a shocker. I wonder why he ended up leaving.

Also, I noticed Kathy Hostetler said they were beginning a search for Smith's replacement; which doesn't say much about the other anchors (particularly the other male anchors).

Archived