WPXI Phasing Out "News Coverage You Can Count On?"

Tyler

Yesterday, during the 5 and 6pm newscasts, I noticed a change to their openings... instead of the old opening, "Channel 11 News Starts Now...", it's been changed to a longer opening, with something to the effect of "Channel 11 News... Live, Local, Late Breaking News Coverage, Starts Now..." IIRC. The words "Live, Local, Late Breaking" also appear graphically in the newly revised opening. Could this be a hint of their new slogan for this Fall when they move into their new studios?

I figured they would just wait for new graphics, new music, and a new set this Fall to do it. It doesn't make sense to do it right now.

Yea, I agree with Tyler, random time to pull that out of their butt. I'm still getting over losing Vic Caroli's great voice for Scott Chapin, who literally sounds like he phones it in.

Onto the graphics, it looks terrible they way they've done it (they should honestly go to hell for destroying those VDO graphics, but that's neither here nor there...) The one thing I do like is the square transition from the open to the studio shot; it fits very well with the original graphics' animations.

Yeah, they totally ruined the VDO package. :p

Funny, though. They need to pick a news slogan and stick with it. I just saw 2 new "New Coverage You Can Count On" promos - but the only place I've seen them use "Live, Local, Late Breaking News Coverage" is in the openings.

Archived