KING 5 News now in HD

mbhcity

Because KING 5 is the only station in Seattle in Full HD. KOMO is in HD, but not full HD.

I Believe it's a difference between 720p and 1081i. ABC and FOX broadcast in 720p while NBC and CBS are 1081i.

Because KING 5 is the only station in Seattle in Full HD. KOMO is in HD, but not full HD.

I Believe it's a difference between 720p and 1081i. ABC and FOX broadcast in 720p while NBC and CBS are 1081i.

No, KOMO has an SD switcher. So, that means while they may have HD cameras, you're seeing a 16:9 standard definition picture when you watch them on their digital channel as the HD signal loses its HD-ness when it passes through that standard definition switcher. There's no such thing as "non-full HD," as both 720p and 1080i are official HDTV resolutions. You could make a case that the "HD Lite" DirecTV broadcasts is not full HD, but that's a completely separate argument...

KING has technically been broadcasting their news in HD from one camera for a while now. However, the camera's HD signal was routed directly to the transmitter and didn't pass through the switcher so it was without graphics and made for quite a jarring transition between 4:3 SD and 16:9 HD.

Archived