Vancouver Stanley Cup Riots

ED2

The NHL's Vancouver Canucks lost to the Boston Bruins in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, and now the city is rioting. Coverage

CTV Vancouver - www.ctvbc.ca

Global BC - GlobalTVBC.com

CBC British Columbia - www.cbc.ca/bc

CBC seems to have a problem with "fer'iners", they won't stream outside of Canada. And Global only has a blog going. But CTV is good to go.

Global had a link to their live coverage on their front page, albeit the link was small. Both Global and CBC stopped at 10pm PT, while CTV kept going (and still is going). Global is back at 11pm for their usual newscast, not sure if CBC will resume their local coverage.

Been watching the 3 main stations in Vancouver (CTV BC, Global BC, CBC British Columbia) for most of the evening...

CBC - They aired the game, so as soon as the ceremonies were over, local coverage switch from the game to the riots. Their studios are right in downtown Vancouver. At first they had crews on the ground and on rooftops. However as the riots progressed, it seems that CBC called all their crews back to the station and just used rooftop cameras and cell phones to cover the story. Local coverage stopped at 10pm, possibly to air The National. Not sure if they will be going back to their local coverage after The National.

CTV - Studios are also in downtown Vancouver. Excellent coverage on the ground and in the air from their chopper. Rob Brown has been providing live reports from the streets. Non-stop coverage from the moment the riots started. Not sure if they will pre-empt CTV National News to continue local coverage.

Global - Studios are in the suburbs, but they had crews on the ground downtown and in the air the Global helicopter. Unfortunately their visuals weren't as strong as CTV's, their reporters and photographers were places far back from the commotion, and their coverage ended at 10pm (possibly to reposition all crews to safer positions and to regroup for their 11pm news).

Just to let you know, no other Canadian city has rioted, let alone TWICE, due to a Stanley Cup playoff defeat. Vancouver now has this notorious distinction.

I watched the CTV coverage for a couple hours last night. I'm not even sure how to describe their coverage. Rob Brown was dangerously close to some of the car fires at times, and I think his presence and the prescience of other media caused some of the problems (i.e. the guy trying to jump through the flames of a burning car, only to slip and fall right into them, and then luckily roll off the car with no apparent injuries). If I was the producer/management, I would have puled him out immediately. He also made a lot of generalizations and hypocritical statements, Claiming it was horrible for photographers (you know, the ones with professional cameras that could be with the newspaper) to be photographing anything, while standing 10 feet from a burning car. He called well-dressed people in the stores with fire extinguishers "hooligans" and posts on their Facebook later revealed these were Inventory Control employees trying to keep looters out.

Don't get me wrong, it was great coverage, but it's coverage that shouldn't have been (in more ways than one). Though I'm sure Mr. Brown is quite happy with the great new footage for his demo reel...

I watched the CTV coverage for a couple hours last night. I'm not even sure how to describe their coverage. Rob Brown was dangerously close to some of the car fires at times, and I think his presence and the prescience of other media caused some of the problems (i.e. the guy trying to jump through the flames of a burning car, only to slip and fall right into them, and then luckily roll off the car with no apparent injuries). If I was the producer/management, I would have puled him out immediately. He also made a lot of generalizations and hypocritical statements, Claiming it was horrible for photographers (you know, the ones with professional cameras that could be with the newspaper) to be photographing anything, while standing 10 feet from a burning car. He called well-dressed people in the stores with fire extinguishers "hooligans" and posts on their Facebook later revealed these were Inventory Control employees trying to keep looters out.

Don't get me wrong, it was great coverage, but it's coverage that shouldn't have been (in more ways than one). Though I'm sure Mr. Brown is quite happy with the great new footage for his demo reel...

I saw that part of the coverage where Rob Brown came upon the Sears store. A guy in a tie and two burly looking people in Canucks jerseys with cloth covering their nose and mouth. I figured the guy in the tie worked at the store, but I wouldn't have guessed the other two worked there also upon first look - those two looked like most of the rioters that were outside of the store.

CTV must've been using a transmitter on their camera that allowed them to walk around Downtown Vancouver freely without the need of a live truck (similar to the technology used for helicopters). Also it looked like CTV's Rob Brown had security guards surrounding him. Unfortunately it seemed that Global BC's photographers didn't have the same security around them. Some of the photographers there were injured by rioters, and some of their NEW HD field cameras and news vehicles were damaged or destroyed.

CTV must've been using a transmitter on their camera that allowed them to walk around Downtown Vancouver freely without the need of a live truck (similar to the technology used for helicopters). Also it looked like CTV's Rob Brown had security guards surrounding him. Unfortunately it seemed that Global BC's photographers didn't have the same security around them. Some of the photographers there were injured by rioters, and some of their NEW HD field cameras and news vehicles were damaged or destroyed.

Tonight they mentioned they were using technology that works on a cell network, which makes me think they were using a LiveU system. I did at some point last night notice someone just next to the camera with a backpack similar to the LiveU system with antennas sticking out the top, but didn't know if they were with the CTV crew or with another TV crew.

Archived