WREG Getting New Set

Jterry

WREG anchor Richard Ransom sent this tweet last night: (http://twitter.com/rransom_wreg3)

Just got close look at plans 4 our new news set.I think you'll agree it'll be a big improvement. Construction starts soon. Finished by Nov

Pretty self-explanatory and other than that, no known details. This will be their first full upgrade since ~1997 (they did a refresh in 2006 and a few minor updates last year when going HD). Only speculating, but since FX Group handled those refreshes, probably going to be them doing this as well, which of course could make it a bit underwhelming given their other work. Either way though, looking forward to what they will unveil since its likely going to be a full abandonment of the old "working newsroom".

Can't really say what to expect from WREG, other than the fact that it was mentioned months ago that an overhaul of their studio was in the works after Live @ 9 moved out of Peabody Place and back to the main facility off Riverside Drive earlier this year. Even though I doubt the working newsroom will be going away in this new incarnation, considering the size of the main studio, it is a much needed change after 15 years and a few minor tweaks along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

As TennTV noted in the "No Emotion Box" ;) WREG is now on their temporary set, which is quite interesting in itself. Its a very small anchor desk, in front of a large static poster of their old set with "under construction" tape in front of it. I can't decide if that's clever or incredibly stupid.

It was confirmed on their FB page that it is an FX job, and Richard Ransom also confirmed that the newsroom will remain a "backdrop" in some capacity, though to what extent and how so is unknown. I'm glad to hear this as the newsroom made the old WREG look unique among the others in town.

Here's a picture of their temp set, as tweeted by reporter Melissa Moon...

[ATTACH]1046.IPB[/ATTACH]

And another of the deconstruction of the old set...

[ATTACH]1045.IPB[/ATTACH]

976893099_Ab-QhPwCAAAPGd4(2).thumb.jpg.26adeb94b2904cf4060225a970398d85.jpg

1275380899_Ab-QvmqCEAAS_3w(2).thumb.jpg.9224258c43738dec8b5851fd6dd9d018.jpg

Per some tweets from Melissa Moon ([twitter]MMoon_WREG3[/twitter]) and Richard Ransom ([twitter]RRansom_WREG3[/twitter]) last night, the new WREG news set is coming along nicely. The newsroom backdrop is still there, but they have completely redone the studio with sort of a "brickwork" theme to it that is also heavy on the use of duratrans. The main news desk looks like it could be moved around to provide different backdrops for each newscasts (it's also much smaller compared to their old one), but they've also built new sections on the other side of the studio as well, which is likely where Live @ 9 and Informed Sources will be originating from.

http://twitter.com/#...8/photo/1/large

http://twitter.com/#...2/photo/1/large

http://twitter.com/#...0/photo/1/large

The new look is expected to debut some time next week, but it is shaping out to become the best-looking news set in Memphis by far compared to everyone else in the city. It's a lot better than what was done at WRAL, but it also looks somewhat similar to WPBF's studio in a way.

WREG's set is now completed, and Daybreak anchor Kris Anderson tweeted they will begin anchoring from the new set on Friday morning. I wouldn't be surprised if that means they debut it on the evening newscasts Thursday. No new pics that I've seen since those above, I imagine they're trying to keep the final look under wraps until the debut.

Looks quite nice I have to say. Vastly better than what FX did at WRAL, incorporated all of the old studio space nicely while upgrading it to a sleek, contemporary look throughout. Lots of monitors throughout, including the large video wall and a smaller one in the back of the assignment desk.

Only minor quip I have, in the new "jib" flyovers sometimes the old old weather set (recently used as a web center) can be seen, they should have had something placed there to cover it, though its not seen in any standard shots.

Archived