Why We Hate Local TV News

Weeters

This week's Shepherd Express (A Milwaukee Publication) has a cover story on "Why we hate local TV news" using the local stations as examples.

f31EFEKOGj7811FA.med.jpg

Few things on TV are as likely to stir our emotions as the local news. When it's done right, the stories can impact us deeply on a personal level and even promote change in the community. But when it's done the wrong way, it makes us embarrassed and even angry.

http://tinyurl.com/23xe63

Any thoughts?

Some of those assertions are dead on, but I have something to say about "if it bleeds it leads":

Whether we like it or not, when a person is killed in our community, we want to know about; I don't care how high and mighty you may feel when it comes to producing a newscast, but if a shooting happens in your area, you turn on the news and want to see it featured at the top of the show. Why? Because you wanna know what happened and all the details that lead up to the shooting.

A lot of the things mentioned in the article are dead on, however. The reason a lot of this silliness is allowed is because producers are creatures of habit; if something works a few times, then that is how they are going to do their newscast, even when it stops working. Also, producers like to take the easy way out; needless animations, empty sound bites, repeated stories in the last block of the show, etc, are just ways for the producers to fill the "news hole".

As far as the content reporters produce, it can be just as troubling. While some "sting" stories are useless, when done correctly (which, I'll admit is rare in local TV news), they can actually be a catalyst for change. Showing us undercover video of police busting prostitutes, however, is stupid and merely entertaining.

I think the article is correct about anchors and on air talent; it seems that stations are hiring people who are more flash and glamour than actual talent; but when you hire people like this, you're basically trying to draw the audience that does not even what the news by giving a product that barely resembles the news. That's why this approach leads to anchors being canned after only 2 or 3 years. Have you ever noticed that these type of "hip" anchors usually end up not working in the business anymore after a few years?

And lastly, weather. It makes me sick to see how much airtme is wasted on "weather alerts". But this is a new trick TV stations are using to drive up ratings. After a certain period of time, the weather radar and other fancy equipment pays for itself, therefore severe weather coverage is a cheap way to make the books. They scare us into watching and what ends up happening? There may be some winds and a little rain, but basically nothing to worry about.

While I don't "hate" local TV news, I do hate the way it is lazily put together, sometimes...

Archived