WPTY Reporter and Photojournalist Handcuffed While Covering Story

Jterry

WPTY's Jeni DiPrizio and Photojournalist Eli Jordan were handcuffed and put in a squad car this afternoon while covering a chemical plant fire in Memphis. Video previously posted on WPTY's website indicates that, according to DiPrizio, their crew had received permission to be on property from a Lieutenant where firefighters were operating their efforts from. However, a Memphis police officer approached and claimed they were trespassing, even though they had allegedly received permission. She tries to contact WPTY's ND Jim Turpin and Sgt Vince Higgins of the Memphis police, and as she does, Jordan is handcuffed though the camera is not turned off for a few minutes, so you can see apparently a Memphis Police officer carrying and moving the camera after Jordan is arrested, while continuing to hear DiPrizio talking with police on the scene as well as on her cell phone with WPTY before she is apparently handcuffed and put in the squad car. Then the camera is finally turned off.

No word on what happened afterward, though there is no indication or information from WPTY that they were ever transported away from the scene or officially put under arrest/taken to the police station, etc.

WPTY had posted the above described confrontation video shortly ago, but has since removed it for unknown reasons. If its reposted, I'll post the link.

Man, I knew Jeni was going to get arrested eventually! ;D

But seriously, it sounds as if this was not a legitimate arrest; something smells fishy...

LOL. Seriously, I was not shocked at all when I saw that it was her involved! You can even see her multiple times saying to place them under arrest if they are going to force them to leave, as they were not going to. Something does sound fishy though, so I'm not passing judgment on Jeni or WPTY yet. But anybody in this area knows that WPTY's reporters, especially Jeni, excel in confrontation when anybody tries to get in their way of reporting. Personally I don't usually like it but this situation does sound like it may be different and that WPTY might have been very much right this time. We'll have to wait for the rest to come out.

Being in the middle of sweeps, and knowing their style so well, I'm sure they'll be showing it a lot this evening. Probably will get lead as a 'Breaking News Alert'. :)

I just saw the coverage on ABC 24, and basically Jeni and her photog were in the right. In order to get a journalism degree nowadays, you have to take a media law course. One of the principle concepts we are taught is that public property is just that: public property.

While the situation is not as cut and dry as I stated about, it's apparent from looking at the footage that the police officer was WRONG for arresting Jeni and that since no police barrier tape was up, that anyone who would have access to the scene on any other day would be able to go there in the absence of the tape. Jeni was charge with something called "blocking a public entrance" or something similar sounding.

While it was annoying (and somewhat entertaining, I'll admit) seeing her chasing motorists on the evening news, Jeni didn't deserve to be arrested today.

I just saw the coverage on ABC 24, and basically Jeni and her photog were in the right. In order to get a journalism degree nowadays, you have to take a media law course. One of the principle concepts we are taught is that public property is just that: public property.

While the situation is not as cut and dry as I stated about, it's apparent from looking at the footage that the police officer was WRONG for arresting Jeni and that since no police barrier tape was up, that anyone who would have access to the scene on any other day would be able to go there in the absence of the tape. Jeni was charge with something called "blocking a public entrance" or something similar sounding.

While it was annoying (and somewhat entertaining, I'll admit) seeing her chasing motorists on the evening news, Jeni didn't deserve to be arrested today.

Yep, I just saw it as well, it looks like Jeni and Eli were completely in the right. There was nothing to indicate that they shouldn't be on that property and they did have permission. It was public property and no crime scene tape or anything prohibiting them access, so it really was unjustified, and seems mostly from the video to be due to one particular officer from seriously overstepping her boundaries.

WPTY does say they will fight the charges and are working with their legal department for possible action against the Memphis Police Department.

EDIT...WPTY has reposted the video, it is raw...

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/mediacenter/[email protected]

This reminds me of when a WKYC photographer was shoved by a mall security guard. The guard told the photographer not to tape inside, however, the photographer had permission by mall management to do so.

As a result, the photographer had to go to the hospital and the camera was somewhat damaged. As for the cop-a real jerk-I don't know what happened to him (if Channel 3 took any legal action).

Archived