A farewell to my mentor

CDubya87

Although it has been sometime since I worked at KSN, this was still a bittersweet night for me and for viewers across the 4-states. After 32 years, Jim Jackson is retiring as the main anchor at KSNF Channel 16 here in Joplin to pursue other interests. http://fourstateshomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=260782 This is a farewell from the 8 different co anchors he's had over the years. Jim was the man, when I was just 17, that didn't give up on me after my first package was a failure. He groomed me into the best journalist I could be, promoted me to 6 & 10 producer, and from there I went on to report just about everything all the time.

But moreso - Jim was...like a father to me. He showed me everything there is to know about journalism and sparked my interest in politics and finance. He was the best news anchor in this area and he leaves a big hole on that news desk. Tonight (2-29) was his last night. Needless to say, I grew up watching Jim and having the honor and privelage to work with such a legend was unbelievable. I am so grateful for all that he did for me, and all the faith he had in me. He said this "A viewer told me, and I think this is the best thing I've heard, she said 'Your decision to step down will allow a new young anchor the opportunity to step up and do what you have done - and acheive all that you have.' That is the best compliment I could ever recieve." He also indicated that despite all his co-anchors over the years, his wife is his #1 co anchor. Jim, you were a great man to work with and I I wish you the best of luck.

On a side note (lol) KOAM and KFJX have gone HD now. A nice touch for the Joplin market :)

Archived