Scott Williams Named Chief Meteorologist at WTXF, Replacing John Bolaris

TexasTVNews

Scott Williams is joining WTXF as the station's new chief meteorologist. Williams joins the station from The Weather Channel, where he is the early-morning meteorologist. He replaces John Bolaris, who parted ways with the station in January after serving a suspension for comments he made in an interview with Playboy. Williams’ hire is effective today. He will make his on-air debut in Philadelphia on June 4.

News director Steve Schwaid‘s announcement to WTXF staffers is after the jump. I’m please to announce that we have hired a new Chief Meteorologist. Scott Williams will be joining Fox 29 on June 4. Scott is a great meteorologist who has done a wonderful job for the past three years at The Weather Channel. During his time there he covered severe weather and hosted his own show. I’ve been following Scott’s career for several years, in fact I tried to hire him when he was in Charleston before I lost him to TWC. Scott will also play a very active role in our community projects. I want to thank Sue and Caitlin for their awesome help during the past 5+ months since we have been down a weather person and they have done a wonderful job filling the holes. Again, join me in welcoming Scott to the team when he arrives.

• 4 weeks later...

I tuned in for Fox 29's evening block tonight. When they say the anti-Bolaris, they aren't kidding. Lot friendlier, seems more comfortable with the material, and seems to have an energy, even though it's a little over the top. Even a little old school, because I really can't remember the last time any meteorologist did "The Dave Roberts" walk over to and hang outside of the anchor desk. I think he's got potential.

There's still a few irritating things about 29's weather presentation that are left over from Bolaris, notably the rankings they give on the extended forecast. That's right - they rate the upcoming days on a scale of 1 to 10. Tomorrow we'll have storms, so it's a 4. Yes, it is really as stupid as it sounds.

Archived