New look for KVIA

MidnightJunkie

One thing I love about KVIA in EL Paso, TX is that they're consistantly keeping themselves fresh by tweaking the look both on the news set (almost 11 years old) and in appearance. Tweaks around the set happen every two years, tweaks in graphics just about every year and a half. This is the in house package that premiered about two weeks ago (if you look closely you can spot the goof in the headline graphic where it switches from a faded gradient to a solid... They tried the half oval look for a few days, but now use a letterbox format)

yes... they're STILL using ABC affiliate package *gag* ::) This would look so much better with something from 615 or Arnold... I do like the stock music used for headlines, however.

news open in 3d with CGI El Paso landmarks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j21AHlB-Ho

talent open: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCK4bsDH8PU

OH MY GOD THAT IS SO AWESOME.

That 3D city portion, was one of the best parts. Did they hire someone that used to work at Giant Octopus because those are just one of the best in-house packages ever made. Ranks just a bit lower than WOIO's Hothaus-style graphics...and WDIV if I don't get any reputable sources that say they were made by Giant Octopus.

I don't like it at ALL.

You can't do 3D for the sake of being 3D. The glass city could be a lot better if it didn't look like it was banged out randomly with all weird camera angles. It actually reminds me of opens I've seen from the 80s and early 90s which had better camera movement.

If you're going to mix 3D with pseudo 2D it needs to be done with a good bit of class, or some flow...like WTMJ, or even my former employer, WHDH.

This looks like it *could* be VDO...but if it is, they ought to be ashamed.

I think the 2D areas, for that market, look fine.

-T

I don't like it at ALL.

You can't do 3D for the sake of being 3D. The glass city could be a lot better if it didn't look like it was banged out randomly with all weird camera angles. It actually reminds me of opens I've seen from the 80s and early 90s which had better camera movement.

If you're going to mix 3D with pseudo 2D it needs to be done with a good bit of class, or some flow...like WTMJ, or even my former employer, WHDH.

This looks like it *could* be VDO...but if it is, they ought to be ashamed.

I think the 2D areas, for that market, look fine.

-T

My thoughts precisely on the 3D, it just screams 1980s to me. The rest looks great, the aerials are fun. . . but the 3D city tarnishes it a bit for me.

Guest Junk Junk

This is shitty.

I'm sorry, but what just came out of my ass looks a lot better than that...

::D

Further expanding on what I said:

The ABC Affil Pack makes it look worse, but it's basically a crappy mismash attempt of Hothaus and RenderOn.

In their defense, they are a small-market station. Probably better than what comes out of other cities their size.

Still bad graphics, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Further expanding on what I said:

The ABC Affil Pack makes it look worse, but it's basically a crappy mismash attempt of Hothaus and RenderOn.

In their defense, they are a small-market station. Probably better than what comes out of other cities their size.

Still bad graphics, though.

Still....Newsforce or even EWN NG (which I've grown strangely fond of) would sound better.

BTW, how did the video become private?

definitely EWN NG2 if nothing else...however, my suggestion as far a 615 package would be News One Version 2. That version of the package is so underused & underrated.

Archived