All Sinclair stations getting new sets?

trev57

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I was going through Devlin Design Group's facebook page and noticed a few comments on the sneak peek photo of WCHS's new set.

Someone asked

"Is this the next generation design for Sinclair?"

DDG then responded on August 1st saying

Hi Richard, while some of the elements will be similar in the sets we are designing for Sinclair, each set will have their own look with different set materials and finishes. Each set is also designed for the individual space requirements. Thank you for asking!

So does this mean all/most of Sinclair's stations are getting new sets? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Specifically, it's the Sinclair stations that are not currently in HD, even though some of the stations doing HD news did so prior to being purchased by Sinclair (i.e., the former Freedom Communications and Four Points Media properties).

WSYX/WTTE, WEAR, WBFF, and WLOS all have the first version of the HD sets designed by Devlin, while everyone else have or will be receiving some variation of the current HD set design used by WGME, WZTV, KABB, and WCHS.

Specifically, it's the Sinclair stations that are not currently in HD, even though some of the stations doing HD news did so prior to being purchased by Sinclair (i.e., the former Freedom Communications and Four Points Media properties).

WSYX/WTTE, WEAR, WBFF, and WLOS all have the first version of the HD sets designed by Devlin, while everyone else have or will be receiving some variation of the current HD set design used by WGME, WZTV, KABB, and WCHS.

For reference, here is the KABB set:

[yt]7ZZ94F9ze70[/yt]

For as much flak as Sinclair Broadcast Group gets, they do have good taste in news sets. If KOKH gets a DDG set, it'll probably be months before that happens but the station has a secondary studio that they use during the morning newscast for certain segments where they could build a news set. KOKH is really in desperate need for new digs for its newscasts, they have been using a "working newsroom" set (which in their case, is the main news desk and weather center integrated with the newsroom, and looks a lot like the "Newsplex" set used by KETV/Omaha) since KOKH debuted their first newscast in 1996.

The problem is the "working newsroom" doesn't work well for them since the whole aspect of that type of news set is so that you can be able to see staff members working in the newsroom, but when you watch their newscasts, you kind of get the feeling that it barely looks worked in since there's almost no one there (other than the anchors, a meteorologist and the occasional reporter that intros their taped report piece) during the studio segments while the newscasts are airing. But KOKH is one of those Fox affiliates that carries newscasts in the morning (5-10 a.m. weekdays) and in the late evening (9-10 nightly, 10-10:30 p.m. Monday-Fridays) but not in the late afternoon or midday, so that's likely the reason why since there are probably more staff members working in the newsroom during business hours.

Why is it that companies are seemingly starting to hire out DDG alone to build sets for all of their stations? Are they cheap or something or what? I mean, while they look good, to me at least, they all have the same general look...nothing really original or different. But hell i guess FX Group has been the same way recently. Pretty bland and ugly.

Why is it that companies are seemingly starting to hire out DDG alone to build sets for all of their stations? Are they cheap or something or what? I mean, while they look good, to me at least, they all have the same general look...nothing really original or different. But hell i guess FX Group has been the same way recently. Pretty bland and ugly.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because of people in charge at the station level pulling a "I want what they're having" thing.

Archived