KOMO-TV anchor Kathi Goertzen dies

T.L. Hughes

Kathi Goertzen, longtime anchor at Fisher Communications-owned ABC affiliate KOMO-TV in Seattle, has died at age 54 due to complications from meningioma, a non-cancerous form of brain tumor that she first diagnosed with in December 1998. As mentioned earlier today (August 13) on the "Out & About" section, Goertzen was admitted to the hospital this past weekend due to pneumonia while undergoing surgery for the tumors.

The story from TVSpy:

Kathi Goertzen, a longtime anchor for KOMO in Seattle, died today after a long fight with brain tumors. She was 58.

News director Holly Gauntt announced the news in a post on the station’s website this afternoon:

"The long fight against the tumors that have ravaged her brain is over. She is at peace now, comfortable and surrounded by all that is good. Please know, as we do, that your love enveloped her. It strengthened and encouraged her.

She loved your compassion and concern more than you’ll ever know. You helped her fight a valiant fight. We want to thank each and every one of you for that."

Goertzen was hospitalized over the weekend after developing pneumonia while undergoing treatment for the tumors, which she has battled for more than 10 years.

Goertzen’s career, which spanned more than three decades at the Seattle ABC-affiliate, was significantly altered by non-cancerous brain tumors, which were discovered in 1998. She returned to the station after surgery later that year, but the tumors re-appeared in 2005, eventually compromising her facial features and ability to speak on air.

“It’s hard to be on TV looking like this,” Goertzen said last year. “I miss my anchor chair more than anyone knows. I would really like to be back to ‘normal.’”

Goertzen continued to work off-camera for KOMO after her ability to speak was affected by the illness. She underwent multiple surgeries, the last one in April, attempting to remove the tumors.

Goertzen, a popular figure in Seattle, has been recognized by viewers and even rival stations during her illness.

“The best TV news anchors deliver the news like a friend – intelligently, honestly, and most of all with trust,” a statement on the website of rival Seattle station KING reads. “Kathi Goertzen was one of those anchors and we are all going to miss her.”

Gauntt’s post on KOMO’s website quotes Goertzen’s thoughts on her illness.

“I’m not afraid to die. I have a great belief, a great faith there’s more,” she said. “There’s more to me, there’s more to this life.”

A public celebration of Kathi Goertzen’s life has been set for Sunday afternoon in Seattle.

The service will be held at Fisher Pavilion at the Seattle Center beginning at 1 p.m.

Seating inside the pavilion will be limited largely to family members, friends and co-workers. But there will be an audio feed of the service outside, and the public is invited to sit on the nearby grassy area and listen.

The full service will also be streamed live on KOMONews.com.

Those planning to attend in person and sit outside are invited to bring lawn chairs or blankets.

Doors at the Fisher Pavilion will open at 12:30 p.m. and the celebration will begin at 1 p.m.

Earlier this week, Goertzen's family posted a note to her Facebook page:

We are reading your posts and are overwhelmed by magnificent love. All around. Thank you for sharing your stories of Mama, memories, love, and your own personal stories. Our family is so grateful to be a part of such a rock of a city and state full of people like you. Mama built this remarkable unit with you all and we feel honored to know you. Her legacy continues and we want all of you to know that we aren't going anywhere and we are here for you, too.

We are working on a memorial to celebrate Mom's life and you are all invited. We will post the details when we have them confirmed. KOMO will also keep you informed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. We love you and so does Mom.

Archived