Changes Are Coming for KRON 4 in San Francisco

AaronQ

KRON just got new graphics a few months ago, and now they're changing them again? Why? :bang:

Because clearly the graphics package is at the core of all the problems facing KRON right now.

Actually from the post on Rich Lieberman's blog, it sounds like they're really just adding a weather sidebar to the newscast, probably mirroring what's currently on the "KRON 4 24/7 Bay Area News Channel" (KRON 4-2), which is really just a 16:9 version of the old NBC Weather Plus L-bar. I wouldn't expect anything drastically new and I certainly wouldn't think they're actually doing anything news-related in HD.

I beleive there current graphics used since April 2012 are in HD, there are just not saying it. The graphics look very clear on a HDTV. There Studio Cameras also seem to be in HD becuase it looks very clear on my HDTV. But there field cameras are still in 16:9 SD since it's not clear on a HDTV. And KRON does not need a weather sidebar becuase they ready have a Weather Lower Display Line (LDL) in the bottom of the screen. KRON also really needs to update there studios. There studio is really outdated especially when you see old CRT TVs in the background. They been using the same studio since 2002/2003 and only made minor tweaks to it since then.

And also when KRON airs any report from CNN (mostly during weekends), there footage is in SD but it is not in the 4:3 safe zone (since CNN is now in 16:9 letterboxed). KRON needs to fix that by airing CNN reports in 4:3 SD.

And KRON does not need a weather sidebar becuase they ready have a Weather Lower Display Line (LDL) in the bottom of the screen.

It could be possible that once the weather sidebar is added, that they might drop the weather forecast LDL altogether to avoid redundancy. The current lower third graphics include both a news ticker and weather LDL (stacked similarly to CNBC's stock ticker), so they may move the news ticker into the position where the weather LDL bar is. The lower third caption graphics actually protrude just slightly above where the "Golden Gate 4" logo bug is with both tickers on simultaneously, so removing the weather bar will align the caption graphics with the logo bug. The issue is during live streams of the station's newscasts on KRON4.com, the weather sidebar would be invisible to those watching since their media player displays the newscasts in 4:3, instead of 16:9.

• 1 month later...

Archived