KBTX-TV New temporary meterorologist from TWC

bearlythere78

KBTX-TV Channel 3 in Bryan/College Station Texas (home of Texas A&M University) recently gained a new temporary meteorologist. Rich Johnson, formerly of The Weather Channel, has joined News 3 in a short term agreement to temporarily replace current chief met Bob French, weekdays at 5, 6, and 10pm. According to station sources, the full time chief meteorologist Bob French has taken some extended time off to tend to pressing family issues.

It comes as kind of a surprise to have someone like Rich Johnson come to this small market station. It will be quite nice to see a big name in a small town like College Station. It must also be a relief to the other meteorologists at KBTX to have Rich join them to lighten the load at the station. Up until now, it was mostly the daytime, weekend and on-call talents (3 total) handling ALL the newscasts at 6am, noon, 4, 5, 6 and 10.

I sincerely hope Bob French returns soon and I hope he is in good spirits. This is a man who I first watched on KFDM-TV Channel 6 in Beaumont Texas as a child and remember that he and Greg Bostwick had similar features and voices. It was hard to tell who was who. they were almost twins. I've had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Bob on a few occasions around town and during volunteer time on the old MDA telethons, and he is an absolute treat to be around...talented, great singer and guitar player and can talk your ear off.

Welcome Rich Johnson to Aggieland! I hope you enjoy your stay in town and thank you for coming during a tough time for KBTX....Thanks and gig em!

http://www.kbtx.com/weather/headlines/Update-on-Bob-French-Short-term-Agreement-with-Rich-Johnson-200140581.html

Archived