COPS ends its 25th season-run on Fox, moves to Spike

CircleSeven

After over 24 years, Fox's longest-running primetime program COPS will end its abbreviated 25th season run at the end of this month. It is not expected to be renewed for its 26th season on Fox. The Hollywood Reporter reports this breaking news today.

This comes after former longtime Fox program America's Most Wanted, just gotten cancelled after over a year on Lifetime and. AMW was aired on Fox more than 25 years.

Cops will be airing on the same timeslot on Viacom-owned cable channel, Spike.

This is no doubt an end of an era. There will be no original Saturday programming on any of the major networks. Obviously Fox wants to free up Saturday for more original programming repeats and airing several sports events on certain weeks, including NASCAR racing, UFC matches & College Football.

COPS have been airing on repeats on many of the Fox O&Os and on cable networks, so it might not be a major change. Some civil rights groups were making petitions for Fox to cancel the program.

The only over-the-air longtime primetime Saturday Original program that's left is Univision's Sabago Gigante.

This makes me wonder if there are still stations showing the syndicated reruns, and whether that will change or not with this news.

Fox 25 in Boston sometimes shows COPS reruns on weekend afternoons when Fox Sports programming ends early or there is none. Other times they show Burn Notice reruns. I bet most other Fox stations still air COPS reruns and will continue doing so despite the fact that the series is leaving Fox. During the series' run on Fox it was produced by Fox's O&Os, so episodes from the series' run on Fox are probably available to Fox affiliates at a discount. It's a cheap way to fill graveyard slots with network quality programming.

After over 24 years' date=' Fox's longest-running primetime program COPS will end its abbreviated 25th season run at the end of this month. It is not expected to be renewed for its 26th season on Fox. [i']The Hollywood Reporter[/i] reports this breaking news today.

This comes after former longtime Fox program America's Most Wanted, just gotten cancelled after over a year on Lifetime and. AMW was aired on Fox more than 25 years.

Cops will be airing on the same timeslot on Viacom-owned cable channel, Spike.

This is no doubt an end of an era. There will be no original Saturday programming on any of the major networks. Obviously Fox wants to free up Saturday for more original programming repeats and airing several sports events on certain weeks, including NASCAR racing, UFC matches & College Football.

COPS have been airing on repeats on many of the Fox O&Os and on cable networks, so it might not be a major change. Some civil rights groups were making petitions for Fox to cancel the program.

The only over-the-air longtime primetime Saturday Original program that's left is Univision's Sabago Gigante.

Sabado Gigante! lol'd on the floor for that one. I physically think in translation its called 'Giant Saturday' and/or Gigantic Saturday. I would love to see this program again and this time in Spanish.

As for COPS, WDAF-TV, airs those reruns at 1:30am-2:00am in the early mornings. I would love to see COPS get moved to cable though.

Archived