CNN International (finally) upgrades to 16:9 (sort of)

C Block

CNN International, forever the step child of the Turner networks, is finally making some strides in upgrading from 4:3 SD to 16:9 with HD hopefully coming soon. For quite some time, CNNI has been running taped weekend programs, commercials, promos, Domestic simulcasts, and Amanpour in widescreen. As of yesterday, all of the Hong Kong programs and the London morning programs are in widescreen and with some new graphics. Atlanta-based shows are still in 4:3 with the old World Report graphics. They're also either updating the Atlanta set or building a new one, which will debut later this month apparently.

I thought you might be interested in seeing their slow progress. Here are some videos, all courtesy of Rados:

Headlines followed by the refreshed World Business Today graphics from London:

[yt]NbDNbMzoy4E#t=141s[/yt]

Apparently, they're phasing out the World Report name for.....CNN Newsroom. Not only does it cause confusion with the Domestic version of Newsroom, but it drives me crazy that the International versions of CNN Newsroom also come from a studio-based environment. But I digress...

[yt]ICCn7sCid0I#t=19s[/yt]

The Hong Kong edition of CNN News Center, which actually comes from a newsroom:

[yt]QCG_YIouL3M#t=18s[/yt]

Finally, News Stream from Hong Kong. These graphics debuted a while ago, but the show went widescreen yesterday as well. Also, you can check out CNNI's take on the domestic "This is CNN" idents:

[yt]AAbrc1tTqA8[/yt]

Can TimeWarner just get rid of CNN Domestic and replace it with CNN International? CNNI isn't perfect, but it is miles ahead of the crap they put on the U.S. channel nowadays. It's no wonder their ratings continue to drop like a rock.

Also, I didn't know CNNI still broadcast from Atlanta at all. Everytime I watch CNNI, the program is either from London or Hong Kong. Nonetheless, it's good to see TimeWarner invest in CNNI! :)

CNNI debuted widescreen in Atlanta a week early, as well as their refreshed set.

This is what the set looked like when it debuted in 2006. FX refreshed it in 2009 and again in 2011.

Here's what the 'new' set looks like, again courtesy of Rados:

International Desk

[yt]Tz0UituDd08[/yt]

World Sport

[yt]P89_C-Qjmrg[/yt]

Archived