WWAY uses a "Soft" set?

WXmanTim

Yep. At least for their morning news.

From the cartoony-looking woodgrain to the to-perfect light sconces in the background, it looks awful.

I wasn't 100% sure until I watched the video. The tell comes at :15 when the anchor on the far right reaches for something and his hand magically disappears before his hand dips below the "desk."

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/4362332?wpid=12071

Yep. At least for their morning news.

From the cartoony-looking woodgrain to the to-perfect light sconces in the background, it looks awful.

I wasn't 100% sure until I watched the video. The tell comes at :15 when the anchor on the far right reaches for something and his hand magically disappears before his hand dips below the "desk."

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/4362332?wpid=12071

I think it was obvious the first second I saw it. They could have made some effort in at least animating the elements in the system and making it seem somewhat real.

Just plain bad. Not as bad as this, though:

• 2 months later...

Just wait 'till you get a load of how VizRT describes this kind of set.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/72151/morris-stations-moving-into-the-virtual-future

U.S. broadcasters have long complained that virtual sets do not look realistic, says David Jorba, SVP of Vizrt Americas, but such complaints are misplaced.

“Based on the technology today, designers can accomplish that hyper-realistic look to the point where it’s indistinguishable to the average viewer at home,” he says. “Europe has been doing this for a long time because they don’t try to be realistic. They like the big white spaces and that more abstract look. U.S. TV stations want something that looks realistic.”

:rofl!:

Sorry, bud, but it still looks fake.

• 1 month later...

I'm in Wilmington this weekend...and I had the pleasure of watching this station.....to say it looks bad is an understatement. It was an absolute trainwreck! From the set itself with the fake pushes, heads being cut off the top of the screen, graphics being miskeyed over other graphics, and even the so-called HD (if they've even gone HD). When I turned in, the signal itself had a jagged picture. The icing on the cake was when they cut to a full shot of the anchor, the picture would break up every time!

I turn over to the simulcast of WRAL news on WILM, and aside from the WILM graphics pasted onto the screen, seeing the awesomeness that is WRAL and their set blew me away. WECT looked a hundred times better than WWAY as well.

Archived