WMBB dropping the Media General "mandate"?

ProButtonPusher

I just saw an abc network promo on WMBB, and a very different looking logo popped up in the lower right corner...here's a cap (they only show it on the SD feed):

snapshot_20070526_0008.png

is it possible that they are dumping the "mandate" that MG gives them?

P.S.--I don't think it will be solid yellow, its just for the program they use to drop their logo in.

If they can only dump the terrible music....

yeah...currently WMBB has an open for like EVERYTHING in the newscast and they all have that same music...very annoying

It depends on the station... WBTW uses a variety of cuts from the package, while WNCT uses the one main theme for everything.

ABC's running a spelling bee...in PRIMETIME????

WTF, if I may kindly ask?

ABC aired it last year in primetime. Not sure how well it did, but one may assume that it at least did decent if they are doing it again this year.

Ok...here's an explaination.

The logo you are seeing that pops up during network programming is actually a very OLD OLD OLD logo that WMBB hasn't used since Media General bought them in 2000. It dates back to 1996/97 (when Spartan owned them), and is modified with the abc logo for network co-branding standards. Every ABC affiliate has the option of puchasing a device that can automatically insert this co/op logo during promos or when a show returns from a break (shown for about 5 seconds before the regular bug appears).

What has happened is that this logo has never been changed since then, and this device which should be de-activated, is still somehow active. I've seen this happen a few times before over the past two years. The past two logos have not met co-op standards (because the abc is too small) and nothing has been done about it since.

As for the yellow and black...remember around 2000 when ABC used these colors.

So unless Media General has something up their sleeve, I wouldn't count on things changing for a while.

i dont know, i emailed the GM, and he said he was forwarding it to the marketing person (wouldn't Bill Byrd just deny it if it werent changing?)

here's the logo i am seeing:

WMBBnew.png

and here is the old logo:

wmbb_abc13_panama_city.jpg

the font in the 13 are different..

if not, the only thing ive got to look foward to in this market is WTVY getting its new set this year lol

Sad thing is that if TVY gets a new set, it's going to more than likely look like WJHG's.

WJHG pretty much has the standard issue Gray Television set.

Back to WMBB...the logo you posted was the one that Media General implemented in 2000. There was one before that was just like the one that popped up with 13 in Impact font, except it was red, yellow and blue and did not have an ABC logo attached to it. It was used from around 1996-2000.

Archived