WMC-TV: 65 Years of Memphis Local News

memnews1

I could be wrong, but I don't think the entire 6 PM newscast is being devoted to the 65th anniversary. All indications are it's just going to be a feature story.

I'll watch - hoping they show something besides the same old clips from their 40th anniversary show that's been seen a hundred times already. WMC has a vast archive, not sure why they keep lifting things off the same 30-minute broadcast from 25 years ago. I guess because it's just easier.

I thought I remembered seeing one of the anchors post something earlier about it being the whole newscast. I just did some searching and found this from Joe Birch...but like you mentioned it didn't say any specifics: "...We'll be presenting a special anniversary broadcast on Action News 5 at 6 o'clock on Wednesday, December 11, 2013. Please tune in or record our newscast at 6pm on Wednesday, 12/11/13!..."

I thought I remembered seeing one of the anchors post something earlier about it being the whole newscast. I just did some searching and found this from Joe Birch...but like you mentioned it didn't say any specifics: "...We'll be presenting a special anniversary broadcast on Action News 5 at 6 o'clock on Wednesday, December 11, 2013. Please tune in or record our newscast at 6pm on Wednesday, 12/11/13!..."

It's a little ambiguous. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see an all-out broadcast so I hope it happens.

Even so, just going through the photo slideshow above, 90% of those pictures are yet again lifted directly off the 40th show from 1988. You can even tell in most of those that it was screen captured off the actual tape. Doesn't make me optimistic to see anything I haven't seen before.

ETA - WMC just ran a promo for the 6pm news that included stories on rape and school boards. I think it's fair to say it won't be a special broadcast. ;-)

The 6 PM newscast just wrapped and Joe Birch narrated a pretty lengthy retrospective. Very informative but also nothing new versus past anniversaries. As suspected the vast majority of clips were directly lifted off the 1988 special.

Perhaps the bigger point I'll make, The producer apparently didn't review the package ahead of time for length because after it aired the rest of the newscast was a mess with an unplanned break, a half-shortened weathercast and a promise to see Jarvis Greer for sports that never happened, with various other technical goofs mixed in as things were being jumbled around. Not very good planning.

Archived