ABC 7 up link trucks

Chicago2008

Good afternoon,

I have noticed that all of the ABC 7 uplink trucks have satellite dishes on them, and when I've seen them operating the satellite dish is always up instead of the microwave dish. I have also seen booth the microwave and satellite dishes up at the same time why is this? Thank you

You may see them using the Satellite often because of line-of-sight issues with Microwave -- sometimes it's hard to establish a signal in an area with lots of tall buildings, lots of trees, or if there are hills in the way of their Receive Sites.

The reason they have both the Satellite Dish and Microwave Dish deployed could be several reasons:

- They could prefer a Redundant Feed when they're going live.

- They could have tried to establish a Live Shot on the Microwave, it failed, so they switched to the Satellite.

- They may put the mast up simply because there's an antenna on it, so they can pick-up the OTA Feed (so they have a monitor for the talent.)

You may see them using the Satellite often because of line-of-sight issues with Microwave -- sometimes it's hard to establish a signal in an area with lots of tall buildings, lots of trees, or if there are hills in the way of their Receive Sites.

The reason they have both the Satellite Dish and Microwave Dish deployed could be several reasons:

- They could prefer a Redundant Feed when they're going live.

- They could have tried to establish a Live Shot on the Microwave, it failed, so they switched to the Satellite.

- They may put the mast up simply because there's an antenna on it, so they can pick-up the OTA Feed (so they have a monitor for the talent.)

Thanks, but the other TV stations don't have satellite dishes on all of the up-link trucks just the microwave dish. Why is this? I know the other stations have a few up-link trucks with satellite dishes on them but ABC 7 is the only Chicago TV station that has satellite dishes on all of the up-link trucks.

I assume because ABC 7 is willing to spend the time and money to have satellite capabilities at all times.

If I remember correctly, the standard ABC truck build (and they always purchase them in groups) is an SNG truck.

Archived