What's you market's Happy Talk station?

NewzPimpin

In Memphis, WHBQ has been the happy talk newscast since the 70s. Even after they dumped the name "Eyewitness News", they've still maintained the EWN tradition.

Newzpimp...that is hard to tell nowdays with local tv news organizations trying to appeal to younger, hip audiences. Let me think on this one...lol

In Memphis, WHBQ has been the happy talk newscast since the 70s. Even after they dumped the name "Eyewitness News", they've still maintained the EWN tradition.

Newzpimp...that is hard to tell nowdays with local tv news organizations trying to appeal to younger, hip audiences. Let me think on this one...lol

You're right. I've seen markets where it's getting harder and harder to tell.

Memphis is still a traditional market, as far as newscast formats go. WMC's Action News is actually Action News: no packages longer than 90 seconds, reporters introing their own packages, etc, just like WPVI in the 70s. WREG has been a Newschannel for ages. But it seems as if the producers at WHBQ actaully budget time into their newscasts for happy talk.

Memphis is still a traditional market, as far as newscast formats go. WMC's Action News is actually Action News: no packages longer than 90 seconds, reporters introing their own packages, etc, just like WPVI in the 70s. WREG has been a Newschannel for ages. But it seems as if the producers at WHBQ actaully budget time into their newscasts for happy talk.

KFVS is the happy talk. WPSD has been the Newsbeat/Channel around here. WSIL is just like WTSP.

Action Local Tabloid News 5. I think they have gotten better in the past year or so.

Hmm. I think in the NYC market it depends on th time of day. In the morning and at 12 and 5, WABC is the Happy talk station, but at 11 and 6, it's very serious hard news.

Seems to me WABC TV has developed the right balance.

Hmm. I think in the NYC market it depends on th time of day. In the morning and at 12 and 5, WABC is the Happy talk station, but at 11 and 6, it's very serious hard news.

Seems to me WABC TV has developed the right balance.

Its better than what we got.

WJW, by far...

WEWS is only "happy talk"-ish on weekday evenings.. WKYC's anchors are stiffer than a board, and WOIO's personalities just make asses out of themselves.

As for Youngstown (I get both markets), I guess it would be WYTV.

KCOP....When it comes to happy talk and an informal production, they take it to the extreme. I.e. Shorts Skirts and steamy sex teases coupled with blood and guts. KTLA has basically jumped the KCOP bandwagon as well. KTTV is also in a similar style, but their productions seem a little more serious than their MNTV counterparts, minus GDLA.

I wouldn't say KABC is the happy talk station anymore, they tend to be very embellishing when it comes to ratings.

KCAL/KCBS have an OK balance, but the newscasts are bland.

KNBC is basically the KTVU (FOX Bay Area) of Los Angeles when it comes to news style, though they do face a lot of competition.

WJW, by far...

WEWS is only "happy talk"-ish on weekday evenings.. WKYC's anchors are stiffer than a board, and WOIO's personalities just make asses out of themselves.

As for Youngstown (I get both markets), I guess it would be WYTV.

Clevelandtvnews, I agree with WJW-especially Bill and Stacey,they're always joking about stuff.

I'm not so sure about WYTV, but I don't watch 33 News too much, so I don't know.

Also in Y'Town: WFMJ's morning show.

WTKR, of course. Especially Kurt Williams, he loves to happy talk it up every day at noon and 5:30, Barbara Ciara loves to play along.

See for yourself...

Though WAVY/WVBT could give 'TKR a run for its money come American Idol time. :o

Archived