New morning set for WWL

PelicanGuy

I agree, a major improvement. What about the main news set? Sure WWL has tweeked and added visual elements over the year, but that set design is at least 13 years old. Any idea when WWL management will bite the bullet and spend the money to upgrade the evening news set?

And I am curious, have all sets used since the early 90s by WWL been designed and built in-house?

matt.

Interesting question. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that it wasn't an entirely in-house job, but they got some local company or companies to do some of the work.

I'm sure we all remembered the announcement WWL and Belo made about a month before Katrina struck that Belo was going to build a new building for Channel 4 and WUPL on Loyola Street in the middle of an old parking lot, which was SUPPOSED to be completed later this year. That was when we were supposed to see the new set.

Well, it appears that the new digs is not going to happen. As of late last month, there has been NO activity whatsover. Also, they have moved WUPL from its Metairie offices into the Rampart Street studios.

With that said, I emailed news director Chris Slaughter about two weeks ago telling him how much I liked the new set. Based on his response, he didn't come out and say it, but I got the impression that a new set is on the way. Personally, I cannot imagine Channel 4 and Belo sitting by while WDSU, WGNO and WVUE received new sets and graphics.

I think we haven't seen the last of the new graphics either for WWL either.

Archived