I don't know, but this doesn't seem normal...

NewzPimpin

I've been wearing dress clothing for a large portion of my life. I'm no fashion guru, but I was brought up knowing the basic rules of dress attire, such as:

*The 3rd button on a blazer is NOT designed to be buttoned

*A handkerchief or pocket square is supposed to match either your tie or shirt

etcetera, etcetera.

In other words, my fashion, as far as dressing as a TV journalist, is quite traditional. After all, traditional NEVER goes out of style.

Anyway, I was watching the news on WREG this Saturday afternoon and saw Memphis TV news mainstay Omari Fleming wearing this

WARNING: THE IMAGE YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE MIGHT CAUSE SOME VISION LOSS. PLEASE PROCEED WITH GREAT CAUTION.

CAP001.jpg

That's a big ass knot, I tell you what.

My question: is this a new trend or something? Omari is not the only one doing this; to a lesser extent, WHBQ weekend anchor Bernard Watson has adopted the same habit. Both wear these kinds of knots on a regular basis while anchoring.

As for me, personally, I think it's just a [very annoying] trend that will [hopefully] pass [soon].

Guest GForceTV

Only if he has time off. He's busy teaming up with Siggy against Powers in the Apprentice board.

His tie knot is called a "Full Windsor." It's more of a contemporary fashion...It's always been around. I compare it to 4-button suits that basketball players wear...only certain people can pull it off. I've worn that type of knot to church before but never on air. The reason it looks like his knot is not tight or pulled up all the way is because he is wearing another fashion trend. The shirt collar he is wearing is sort of new and should be worn with small knots only.

My fellow Sucks bretheren summoned me!!!

What a mess.

The Full Windsor is the hardest knot of all to pull off...usually used by only the most sartorially ambitious and overacheivers. If it is done correctly, it is a real show-off detail. But, when done by an amateur, as seen here and it slips down it is truly disastarous. Better to tie an easy knot and succeed than tie a complicated knot and fail miserably. You would think these station's make-up people would catch this sort of thing before these guys go on air. Or at least they should do a once-over in the mirror before every broadcast.

And for the first poster: YES on not buttoning the bottom button but NO on the pocket square matching the tie, unless you are auditioning for The Sopranos: The MUSICAL!!!! The pocket square can be linkied with the colors of the tie, but never an exact match.

And for the first poster: YES on not buttoning the bottom button but NO on the pocket square matching the tie, unless you are auditioning for The Sopranos: The MUSICAL!!!! The pocket square can be linkied with the colors of the tie, but never an exact match.

Thank you. I knew if I slipped up, you'd be the first to catch it!

His tie knot is called a "Full Windsor." It's more of a contemporary fashion...It's always been around. I compare it to 4-button suits that basketball players wear...only certain people can pull it off. I've worn that type of knot to church before but never on air. The reason it looks like his knot is not tight or pulled up all the way is because he is wearing another fashion trend. The shirt collar he is wearing is sort of new and should be worn with small knots only.

Actually, it is a wide-spread collar and ideal for a Full Windsor. The problem is it isn't tied tightly enough.

Actually, it is a wide-spread collar and ideal for a Full Windsor. The problem is it isn't tied tightly enough.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if the wide spread collar was right or wrong for a full windsor. I remember reading it in magazine one time. Thanks

I don't hate the look in concept -- there's nothing wrong with a Windsor knot (and as previously noted, that's what you need for a collar with a spread as big as that one), but that one's tied awfully -- tighten that thing up! The collar needs a proper pressing, too, which is probably part of the problem.

I can't really pull off a three-button; but for those who can, here's a simple guide:

O

I don't hate the look in concept -- there's nothing wrong with a Windsor knot (and as previously noted, that's what you need for a collar with a spread as big as that one), but that one's tied awfully -- tighten that thing up! The collar needs a proper pressing, too, which is probably part of the problem.

I can't really pull off a three-button; but for those who can, here's a simple guide:

O

I got a few shots of men in the NYC market that wear Full Windsors to varying degrees of success:

Here is Rob Malcolm of FOX5 who does very niceley with a medium-spread collar and keeps the knot under control:

060407malcolmpurple.jpg

But then here it just gets too wide...to the point that it makes a wide-spread collar buckle:

060407malcomwidsor.jpg

Here is Jeff Rossen from the local ABC affiliate (you may recognise him from a REALLY humiliating scene from "Bowling For Columbine") who also lets it get out of hand:

060407rossenwindsor.jpg

Here is Charles Perez, formerly of the local ABC station...I believe he is now in Miami. He is very tall which helps keep the knot from getting too large, and consistantly pulled it off:

charlesperez.jpg

And finally, also in the "perfect" column...the Standard Bearer of Men's Sartorial Excellance in New York City, Lee Goldberg:

cap519.jpg

So, it can be done and done well...just takes talent and flair.

Actually, here's some even simpler advice about four-button suits -- don't. ;)

In that first shot of Rob Malcolm, his knot is *way* too big for that collar. (That's why we have the half-Windsor.) Jeff Rossen's seems just about right. And there's no arguing with you about Lee Goldberg.

Sorry, I don't read the New York board. Can't help you there. ;)

Archived