Phil Blauer gone from KFMB

A3N

It looks like Phil Blauer has left KFMB. His bio is not on the station's site and there is no mention of him leaving. He still has his twitter account, albeit without the CBS8 handle. He has been with the station since the late 90s and a few years ago he was promoted to weekend anchor. I'm shocked to say the least, he was one of the best reporters at the station, if not the San Diego market. I wonder what happened.

I'm just guessing here but it sounds like his contract wasn't renewed...

It's possible, but I find it pretty crappy that they didn't at least give him an opportunity to sign off. He deserved that at the very least- Being that he was at the station for the last 15 years or so.

If that's the case, wow. A colossal fuck-up on KFMB's part. No doubt he'll be swooped up by another station and make KFMB regret this dumb decision.

Sadly I'm not surprised. This is typical KFMB management arrogance at its worst.

I wonder if it had to do with dumping salary. After 15+ years, he must have been making some pretty good money. I don't want to speculate as to why they would dump salary, but it does look good on the books when you can save a hefty salary + benefits. I will say that it looks like they might have a replacement lined up since I didn't not see a job posting for the weekend anchor position. I thought that the days of talent "disappearing" from KFMB was over after their new GM came in a few years ago. This was a common occurrence under the previous GM, but I guess the trend continues since Vanessa Bezic, Angelique Lizarde and now Phil Blauer left without a trace.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that Phil was on KSWB tonight. Kathleen seemed to break open a **slight** snicker when Andrew tossed to Phil...good move on KSWB's part! KFMB's loss.

Archived