White Plains, NY family's deadly accident in College Park, GA not on Atlanta news?

radiorick1460

I find it surprising that news of a White Plains, NY family's deadly accident in their vacation home's area was not on the news there. White Plains is in Westchester County, whose cable community news channel News 12 Westchester had the story. Meanwhile, next door to College Park, GA, where the accident occurred, is Atlanta and I didn't catch it on the Atlanta news. The accident killed a man in his 50's, which occurred from two speeding cars forcing the Dodge minivan he, his wife and mother in law were in off the road. They then hit a tree, this according to an eyewitness' account News 12 Westchester had.

If news 12 had some type of eyewitness account, it likely came from an Atlanta station. It may very well have only rated a vo or vosot in an early newscast but didn't make it into later shows.

That's the difference between community (and small market) newscasts and large market news. A story that might rate repeated coverage on news 12 was worth only one hit in Atlanta.

Another thought: Not sure if this is the case in Atlanta or not, bit here in Houston most of the stations employ a stringer "spot news" service for overnight stories. There's also a number of independent stringers who cover the outlying areas that we buy video from. However if the story is more run of the mill (car accidents, etc) we may not buy it at all.

It's possible a stringer shot the story and offered it directly to news 12 in addition to the local Atlanta stations.

I think someone reported the story to News 12 Westchester, as they also showed a lady (probably a friend of the family) commenting. It is possible that News 12 Westchester got the story a week or two after it happened and that I could have caught it several news cycles beforehand (when it just happened) on the Atlanta news, the difference of timing here making it seem like it wasn't on Channel 2 Action News (WSB-TV) or FOX 5 News (WAGA).

Archived