WRAL's debuts new GO Graphics

abric

WRAL has debuted their new Giant Octopus HD graphics. As we know the updated weather weather graphics came a couple months before the full package was implemented. You can see some pics of the new graphics at Giant Octopus' website www.giantoctopus.com. The graphics are red, white and blue, very sleek and downright awesome. It seems there L3s are still the same size as their previous, but are animated which is nice. The main font they are using are Univers. Check it out, the best graphics I have seen in awhile and long overdue for WRAL.

Guest wfaa8fan

This was a much needed update...

Off topic a bit, GO has filled the position that they have been advertising on their site. The new designer brings years of experience and has some great 3D work, especially for The Onion (same guy who designed WOIO current graphics).

For WRAL's first graphics incorporating red as a primary color in at least 15 years, they are awesome. The opening shot of the 11 p.m. talent open featuring the Raleigh skyline is stunning, on par with WLS's current opens. I wish I could see some daytime opens to see if they're as good. All the CG-based graphics rock, even if they are a little on the big side.

I see only two problems with the graphic package: First, the weather graphics didn't adapt well at all to the new scheme. The blue bar that sits below the header and labels the on-screen graphic seems out of place, and its so low on the screen that it unnecessarily clutters it. Unfortunately, they can't do anything about it, because the forecast graphic--which I like, btw--has the header at the same low height. Second, the portion of the talent open introducing the talent needs some work. The video is spot-on, but the graphical elements don't match very well. The large white text cheapens it immediately.

Other than these two nitpicky problems, the rest of the package is great! Nice job GO!

Second, the portion of the talent open introducing the talent needs some work. The video is spot-on, but the graphical elements don't match very well.

At least they still introduce the talent WISH doesn't even do that any more.

Archived