WPHL broadcasting All-Mummers, All The Time.

TheRolyPoly

For those who have loved the Mummers Parade on New Year's Day, every year in Philadelphia, then get ready to enjoy a All-Mummers, All The Time channel. Don't worry, it's only temporary for 4 weeks.

It's on WPHL-DT 17.4, which used to be GeoTraffic, which was the first local 24/7 all-traffic network on TV. GeoTraffic scheduled to come back after the new year (or maybe not. Maybe this is just like radio: It plays a temporary format during the holidays and then comes back with a permanent format after the new year.)

Just found this, even though I don't live in the market: http://phl17.com/2014/12/03/all-mummers-all-the-time-on-phl17s-sub-channel-17-4/

But the 6ABC Dunkin Donuts Thanksgiving Day Parade was last week... I actually was more into that than the Mummers.

Still a great idea for a subchannel. Video quality is very, very rough.

Good time for a bit of a broadcasting history for the Mummers.

Broadcasting rights volleyed between 3, 6, and 10. 3 grabbed the Mummers for a five-year contract, going from the 1986 parade to the 1991 parade. Of course, 1991 is when the station became KYW-3 and tightened its belt significantly. It wouldn't pay for the Mummers - at all.

After last minute TV rights negotiations with the great Philly 57 fell through, Lenfest Communications (better known to all as Suburban Cable/Garden State Cable) televised the proceedings - for free- through WHYY TV12. After the 1992 parade, the Mummers struck a deal with Lenfest itself. The 1993 and 1994 parades were produced by Lenfest, but aired on KYW-3 and used KYW and Westinghouse talent. (They also used WHYY voice Ed Cunningham, with Pat Ciarocchi as main host and Bruce Hamilton/Jennifer Ward pulling shifts on the 1993 broadcast.)

Lenfest moved the broadcast over to PHL 17 for 1995, amazingly hosted by Pat Ciarocchi and Mike Strug. 17 didn't produce the broadcast until 1998, I believe. (That's when they started using sponsors.)

Watching this off and on, they seem to be taking these from "raw" feeds. For instance, they're airing the 1998 parade now and I think that was the one that had an obnoxious CoreStates Bank bug. Maybe it was the 1999 parade, after First Union took over.

Tangentially, man oh man is it good to see this again:

froglogo.gif

• 1 month later...

Archived