WCMH's broadcast of Red, White & Boom

ColDayNews

Was watching the broadcast of Red, White & Boom. I downloaded it from livestream.com since I was downtown on the 3rd. Noticed a few things were different from year's past:

-Since when have they produced a music video for The Star-Spangled Banner? Instead of showing the Ohio Air National Guard's flag raising on the side of the Columbia Gas building or the military salute, they showed a music video which included file footage of the Reynoldsburg VFW Color Guard raising an American flag at a cemetery. I liked the video, it was a nice touch. Perhaps just old footage from a news story?

-The cameras were located in a weird location this year. The skyline shot looked like it was along the I-70 overpass and there was a second shot along Civic Center Drive. Absolutely NO use of Chopper4 for the fireworks, except for traffic reports, even though the helicopter was upgraded to HD.

-At the end of the fireworks, you could hear Dave from the WNCI Morning Zoo ending the soundtrack: "Now here comes the music!" along with Across the Field by the OSU Marching Band. Maybe an audio problem?

Hopefully someone at WCMH on here can address and clear this up for me. All in all, I give the broadcast a B-. They had their best Boom broadcasts when they were an NBC owned station, I've heard.

Archived