how do stations handle late night when sports run long

danderson500

WDSU, WVUE and WWL would air as normal when the game ends. However in WWL's case, on Saturdays, if the SEC game runs long, they would air an edited 6 pm newscast or if it runs too long, there would be NO 6 pm newscast. The same applies to the 5:30 pm Sunday newscast.

I know that WHNS here in the Greenville/Spartanburg market has run their 10pm newscast online during the World Series and run their 11 on TV live after the game. However, I don't know what they did when Game 1 went long (since I went to bed right after) and would assume they didn't run news that night.

One thing I've noticed WITI do lately for late running sports (both late-nights and during weekend football/baseball) is that they schedule more infomercials and barter "cushion" programming like The Bullwinkle Show and Who's the Boss? that usually tend to be the first to get pre-empted or joined in progress it runs long.

Something I've seen WTMJ do in the past (though not much anymore) is on Saturdays they would follow long running golf/NASCAR/Notre Dame football with previously scheduled infomercial blocks, run that into network programming then simply join NBC in progress even as late as 7:40c. I don't think it's happened since the Scripps merger

I remember a few times a particularly trigger-happy MC guy pretty much had an itchy finger and the moment the game ended they cut to the infomercial for a ND game, not even letting them get in the 5th quarter activities. They got grief from that from viewers (might be able to get away with that in Little Rock, but in an area with South Bend stations in range and ND alumni? Not good) and probably the network too.

I remember a few times a particularly trigger-happy MC guy pretty much had an itchy finger and the moment the game ended they cut to the infomercial for a ND game, not even letting them get in the 5th quarter activities. They got grief from that from viewers (might be able to get away with that in Little Rock, but in an area with South Bend stations in range and ND alumni? Not good) and probably the network too.

Buy, I wouldn't recommend that. Network does not look kindly on that kind of thing.

Also during the London Olympics, WFMJ slid its 11pm newscast over to the CW subchannel for those that wanted to see the news at that time. Then, WFMJ would air the same newscast, only tape-delayed, after the Olympics at 12am. Do any other NBC affiliates besides WFMJ do this?

Also during the London Olympics, WFMJ slid its 11pm newscast over to the CW subchannel for those that wanted to see the news at that time. Then, WFMJ would air the same newscast, only tape-delayed, after the Olympics at 12am. Do any other NBC affiliates besides WFMJ do this?

Also, do any ABC affiliates do this on Oscar Night? Or CBS affiliates on Grammy Night?

Archived