Musing over Ratings and Voice Overs...

kjohnson

I've been thinking about ratings and voice overs and whether they may be interelated. Stay with me for a moment...

Take for example, KSDK. KSDK has several problems, but they are outside the scope of this query.

For years, KSDK employed Chuck Conners, and was at the top of the ratings heap.

Then came is Chuck Van Dyke, a personal favorite in 2003, and ratings remained stable.

Then in February 2006, coinciding with HD newscasts, KSDK retains Roberta Solomon, and ratings plummet.

My question is there any TV station where Robera Solomon (http://www.voicegal.com) is being retained doing well?

Further, do you think a bad voice-over person could drive viewers away from your news?

• I may agree with that statement. In Milwaukee, the 10PM ratings are as follows (VOs in ()s):
    • WISN (Matt Bisbee... arguably the best VO in MKE)

[*]WTMJ (Cedering Fox + [who NMSA lists as Lips Labelle but who I don't believe is, because I have heard him on NBC Sports]... "Labelle" is good, but Cedering isn't)

[*]WITI (Roberta Solomon)

[*]WDJT (Curtis Parham... if you didn't think there was somebody worse than Solomon for news VOs, think again)

Greg O'Neill does market leader WVEC, and I think he's the worst in our market. I just love his voice in

promo... "There's only one station, to turn to, for local news. 13 News. Delivering breaking newwws..."

Charlie Van Dyke has been the voice of WAVY since 1989 and is the best and most recognizable voice in the market. He's been with WAVY since their rise to the top in the early/mid-90s.

WTKR has had quite a turnover of voiceover people in the past 10 years... Jeff Laurence, Scott Chapin, Paul Turner, Cedering Fox (

, whoever she is she still does some promos, such as the "whisperer" in a current weather promo), and (main v/o) Bob Tracey. Bob's not too bad.

WVBT uses John Beach. He's okay... David Kaye (used until 2004) was better.

WBAY------uses Jeff Laurence, used to have Chris Clausen. They're both good VO's, and although the newscasts aren't too fancy, they are the market leader.

TTBOMK, WFRV and WLUK seem to bounce back and forth in ratings. We all know who WFRV's VO is. WLUK's----don't know. Wish I knew who their former VO was [i also heard him on Fox News Sunday, IIRC].

WGBA----don't know who their VO is, but he's apparently no stranger to Journal [believe he's also done some TMJ work]. They're in the basement ratings-wise.

In Chicago, Ron Rolland has been the voice of Chicago's #1 News..

Ron Rolland was the voiceover at WBBM when they were #1 in the 1980s. Later when WLS switched to the News Series 2000 Plus package in 1992, Ron became the voiceover at WLS and not too long after, WLS became Chicago's #1 News. WLS has been using Ron Rolland as their voiceover eversince (15 years now) and WLS remains Chicago's #1 News. There are no plans to dump Ron Rolland as their voiceover.

For as long as WBBM had its low ratings, they have had a different voiceover every few years to go along with the new style/format they're going with. Charlie Van Dyke (1989-1991), Scott Chapin (1991-1992), Nick Michaels (1992-1997), some female voiceover that sounded alot like Mary Ann Childers (1997-2000), Vic Caroli (2000-2001), Joe Cipriano (2001-2003), Bill Ratner (2002-Present), and another mystery female voiceover (2003-Present). Yeah, there was a short time when both Bill Ratner and Joe Cipriano were used at the same time. It was probably due to WBBM wanting to use Ratner right away; however, they also wanted to finish off the contract with Cipriano. I thought it was interesting when they would have both voices taking turns reading teases in the same promo.

Greg O'Neill does market leader WVEC, and I think he's the worst in our market. I just love his voice in

promo... "There's only one station, to turn to, for local news. 13 News. Delivering breaking newwws..."

Charlie Van Dyke has been the voice of WAVY since 1989 and is the best and most recognizable voice in the market. He's been with WAVY since their rise to the top in the early/mid-90s.

WTKR has had quite a turnover of voiceover people in the past 10 years... Jeff Laurence, Scott Chapin, Paul Turner, Cedering Fox (

, whoever she is she still does some promos, such as the "whisperer" in a current weather promo), and (main v/o) Bob Tracey. Bob's not too bad.

WVBT uses John Beach. He's okay... David Kaye (used until 2004) was better.

Didn't 'TKR use Robera Solomon at one point?

• I may agree with that statement. In Milwaukee, the 10PM ratings are as follows (VOs in ()s):

• WTMJ (Cedering Fox + [who NMSA lists as Lips Labelle but who I don't believe is, because I have heard him on NBC Sports]... "Labelle" is good, but Cedering isn't)

Who might you be thinking it is... (the NBC Sports guy listed as Lips Labelle)

BTW, who is Lips Labelle?

Archived