which is the best Houston station?

Gulf_Broadcasting

helo all, I'm asking because I will be leaving for Houston next friday and I will be listening to the news. (not watching) I have a portable radio/tv and it recieves channels 2-13. so, i will try to listen to the 5, 6 & 10 newscasts. I will not be able to watch any of the newscasts, just hear. btw, i've been to houston, but that was a while ago, when i just liked KHOU because it had Wheel of Fortune. so, who has the best newscasts between KPRC, KHOU & KTRK? Remember, not because of gfx, because I will only be able to hear the station, not see it.

Belo is the greatest news operator of them all. KING, KHOU, WFAA, KMOV, KVUE and so on. They do a great job with the news programs, considering that they are also in print. Good thing for FCC waivers.

• 3 weeks later...

and KRIV, love the graphics and set but try add another newscast.

Agreed. When will KRIV learn that the WGN approach (weekday mornings, weekdays at noon, nightly at 9PM) will not work for a major-market Big 4 network O&O. Maybe a 30-minute 6pm newscast is pushing it for them, but at least they NEED a 1-hour 5pm news and 30-minute 10pm news. My thinking is that the main reason why KRIV can't really compete is that they don't have a real presence (except for the 9pm news) in the evenings like 2, 11, and 13 do.

...so what makes you guys think a 6PM newscast would be any different? A low-rated newscast would simply cost more money to make and they would probably lose vital ad dollars.

Starting a newscast just to have another newscast doesn't make much sense in the real world. It's just not cost-effective, and a lot of stations make a name for themselves with their entertainment programming. It's not all about news, folks.

Exactly. Their entertainment-based lineup of syndie shows in the 5-7PM timeslot (Simpsons, Malcom, KOTH, Simpsons) does relatively well on its' own and has done so, at least pertaining to Simpsons reruns, for around 12 years. Why screw with the formula?

Also, the pitfalls of starting up are fairly numerous as cfif stated. Look at the fight for audience alone... KRIV has been known to cut into KPRC's 5 & 6PM Product since at least 1993-94 and that's not changing any time soon. KTRK & KHOU generally divide the news ratings in both time slots, plus the recent growth of KXLN in all time periods won't help the cause at all.

Back to the point about stations to recommend, this can be for whenever you get a chance to check them all out with both audio & visual...

-KTRK: Tons of heritage in that station. Period. Plus they've always been able to pull it off without looking 20 years prior to whatever time it was then. Talent is almost beyond compare and storytelling has always been one of the station's strong suits. Recent investments in weather and longtime investment in the community makes this one a must watch.

-KHOU: I personally liked them before it seemed to be the thing to do so this perspective is written with a bit more behind it. It's been neat to watch them change and evolve over the past decade and where they are now... It's not as good as it used to be content-wise as it was (maybe 5-7 years ago) but it's still one of the best local news outlets anywhere.

-KHCW: Vastly underrated, when it really shouldn't. More people even here should look into it. Very straightforward newscast with more hard-news and traditionally done stories per-capita than the competitors. Keith Monahan's weather forecasts seem to win the most awards for the station. Echoes of Doug Johnson w/ him, especially when it comes to tropical storms & Hurricanes and that's a huge bonus in my book. Side note, always surprised that they had a satellite truck and KRIV didn't...

-KXLN: Consistently the dominant spanish-language newscasts in town, even though not the first. Great presentation all around, and they've always had a great pool of talent.

Archived