"Hues at 11"

bostonmediaguy

Although I wonder why they didn't interview Tristan.......

Well, I've been hanging with friends on a vacation most of the week...meh.

Now that the message of "clarity" and some of the details behind that reasoning is public...

Yes, "clarity" was the overall goal from the inception of the HD look, and that is why the animations are the way they are...they're not bonkers fast 3D like WHDH or GO or RenderOn...but they're not entirely flat and they don't hurt my eyes like WBZ's current look does (or WBBM / KDKA which, in part, the WBZ look is derived from.) There is a bit of detail and a "pop" in our look that both the SD and HD folks can enjoy.

Unless it's a light lavender-y blue, the types of blues are ones that don't "buzz" on television...that's why red and gold are more highlights, instead of a dominant color...Breaking News being the exception, because you need to convey that sense of urgency, but even then, it's a dark red. Really, it depends on the type of television you use, and the settings they have. If your television isn't perfect...even a highlight of red over blue--or just red--can cause a problem.

If you go with the sentiment that's conveyed in the article...it's odd that a station with the tabloid reputation that WHDH has...would keep their Breaking News stingers blue...in the new look (with only a hint of red)...and even the previous one, which was ALL blue. But also consider...for a LONG time now...the entire Boston market, NECN the exception in some dayparts, has wanted to keep a blue color scheme...ALL the stations were doing blue...from the Hearst rings, to WHDH's previous look, WBZ's dousing of blue on its 3D Zakim bridge in what was an amazing look...and WFXT was doing blue and white. When you have a market saturated in blue, from a design standpoint, it gets very monotonous after while, and I never understood why the viewer would be open to the SAME colors OVER and OVER again...no wonder OTA TV is losing viewership!

Philly's a much more colorful market--only WPVI and KYW use blue predominantly but even then, they implement a lot of gold and dark red as accents--but New York's trending the blue way too. Look at WCBS in HD...and WNBC HD...and WABC, and WPIX. The last I remember, even WWOR is still predominantly blue, but they use a lot of dark schemes and black as well, which I like.

I've even had this shift to blue with some of my other projects. Seems that professionals, clients and viewers just enjoy the feel of blue. I never quite understood that; I'm always of the feeling that if it looks good for television, you can use almost whatever color scheme you want. It can be done...and it takes a great designer, the GOs and Hothauses of this world, to pull it off. I don't consider myself in that arena right now...I still have problems with some of my reds coming off as pink! :(

And I dunno what the author's talking about with the whole "designers like green" bit. I've pulled off a entire green-ish motif on a news package *once*...mixed with a little red...but looking back on the work, the green really is starting to bug me, and I can understand why. I'd never do it again.

-T

Although I wonder why they didn't interview Tristan.......

Well, I've been hanging with friends on a vacation most of the week...meh.

Now that the message of "clarity" and some of the details behind that reasoning is public...

Yes, "clarity" was the overall goal from the inception of the HD look, and that is why the animations are the way they are...they're not bonkers fast 3D like WHDH or GO or RenderOn...but they're not entirely flat and they don't hurt my eyes like WBZ's current look does (or WBBM / KDKA which, in part, the WBZ look is derived from.) There is a bit of detail and a "pop" in our look that both the SD and HD folks can enjoy.

Unless it's a light lavender-y blue, the types of blues are ones that don't "buzz" on television...that's why red and gold are more highlights, instead of a dominant color...Breaking News being the exception, because you need to convey that sense of urgency, but even then, it's a dark red. Really, it depends on the type of television you use, and the settings they have. If your television isn't perfect...even a highlight of red over blue--or just red--can cause a problem.

If you go with the sentiment that's conveyed in the article...it's odd that a station with the tabloid reputation that WHDH has...would keep their Breaking News stingers blue...in the new look (with only a hint of red)...and even the previous one, which was ALL blue. But also consider...for a LONG time now...the entire Boston market, NECN the exception in some dayparts, has wanted to keep a blue color scheme...ALL the stations were doing blue...from the Hearst rings, to WHDH's previous look, WBZ's dousing of blue on its 3D Zakim bridge in what was an amazing look...and WFXT was doing blue and white. When you have a market saturated in blue, from a design standpoint, it gets very monotonous after while, and I never understood why the viewer would be open to the SAME colors OVER and OVER again...no wonder OTA TV is losing viewership!

Philly's a much more colorful market--only WPVI and KYW use blue predominantly but even then, they implement a lot of gold and dark red as accents--but New York's trending the blue way too. Look at WCBS in HD...and WNBC HD...and WABC, and WPIX. The last I remember, even WWOR is still predominantly blue, but they use a lot of dark schemes and black as well, which I like.

I've even had this shift to blue with some of my other projects. Seems that professionals, clients and viewers just enjoy the feel of blue. I never quite understood that; I'm always of the feeling that if it looks good for television, you can use almost whatever color scheme you want. It can be done...and it takes a great designer, the GOs and Hothauses of this world, to pull it off. I don't consider myself in that arena right now...I still have problems with some of my reds coming off as pink! :(

And I dunno what the author's talking about with the whole "designers like green" bit. I've pulled off a entire green-ish motif on a news package *once*...mixed with a little red...but looking back on the work, the green really is starting to bug me, and I can understand why. I'd never do it again.

-T

Greens and violets are very hard colors to work with in news graphics. They are both better for feature story graphics although green can be snuck in as an auxiliary color but you really shouldn't base a whole package off of it.

Greens and violets are very hard colors to work with in news graphics. They are both better for feature story graphics although green can be snuck in as an auxiliary color but you really shouldn't base a whole package off of it.

I would want to say that WFRV is one of the very few that managed to pull this off with somewhat successful results. Of course, the whole green and gold scheme was in reference to the Packers, but it proved a different look to the blue and red schemes of the other stations.

I initially didn't like the graphics, with the thought that the colors were not appropriate for TV news. However, I've come to miss that package, now that they've gone with a CBS Mandate-issue blue and black scheme. The GB market pretty much has the blues now, you could say.....

Guest Junk Junk

I would want to say that WFRV is one of the very few that managed to pull this off with somewhat successful results. Of course, the whole green and gold scheme was in reference to the Packers, but it proved a different look to the blue and red schemes of the other stations.

I initially didn't like the graphics, with the thought that the colors were not appropriate for TV news. However, I've come to miss that package, now that they've gone with a CBS Mandate-issue blue and black scheme. The GB market pretty much has the blues now, you could say.....

There is a CW station somewhere that uses the CW netwoks color scheme (green and yellows) in their news package, and it looks horrendous! Does anyone know which station that is and do they still use that package?

KSWB (San Diego) uses the CW scheme the L3's are some ugly looking aquamarine color and the open is an aquamarine as well, it is really bad.

There is a CW station somewhere that uses the CW netwoks color scheme (green and yellows) in their news package, and it looks horrendous! Does anyone know which station that is and do they still use that package?

I'm pretty sure that's a Raycom CW station somewhere in the southeast...Heartland CW or something like that.

I've seen their news...for what it does, it's faithful to the CW look and I like it.

-T

Guest Junk Junk

WPSG uses the actual CW network package for news and it is flat out terrible.

Yep, that's the one - awful! :-X

I'm pretty sure that's a Raycom CW station somewhere in the southeast...Heartland CW or something like that.

I've seen their news...for what it does, it's faithful to the CW look and I like it.

-T

WQWQ? Matt and I are a fan of that package. Then again, we have to look at KDKA graphics so anything is better.

-T

WQWQ? Matt and I are a fan of that package. Then again, we have to look at KDKA graphics so anything is better.

Haha, I think that's the one! A little simple, but better than the usual Raycom stuff.

Archived