Anyone know how to contact FNC's licensing department?

ColDayNews

I'd like to use clips from FNC programming the day of the Boston manhunt - I do have one clip of Brian Kilmeade and Gretchen Carlson anchoring Fox & Friends taken from a local Fox affiliate simulcasting FNC's coverage.

I'd like to use the following clips:

- Overnight coverage of the initial reports of the shootout anchored by Marianne Rafferty (they simulcasted WFXT, the then Fox O&O, so should I also contact them?)

- Initial reports anchored by Fox & Friends that suspect #1 is in custody

- News conferences and various pieces of coverage from throughout the day

- Shepard Smith announcing "the second suspect is in custody." and video of Dzokhar Tsarnaev in an ambulance.

This is for my senior class project on terrorism and what motivates it. Thank you all in advance!!!!!

I am not a lawyer, but it sounds like this falls under fair use, so long as this is strictly used for scholarly purposes, you intend to use only selected segments of the broadcasts, and that you don't intend to resell the resulting production.

Are you just looking to source the selected clips?

(Just as an aside, why do you only seem to be looking to use FNC content?)

I am not a lawyer, but it sounds like this falls under fair use, so long as this is strictly used for scholarly purposes, you intend to use only selected segments of the broadcasts, and that you don't intend to resell the resulting production.

Are you just looking to source the selected clips?

(Just as an aside, why do you only seem to be looking to use FNC content?)

This was who I watched the day of the manhunt.

Did your professor tell you that you need to contact them? I think you're fine for academic purposes. The only thing I'd recommend is if you're using clips in a presentation, save them and play them out locally. That way, you don't have to worry about them loading on spotty campus wifi, but you also don't have to worry about when a clip may be pulled, whether you're getting it from Fox, a random YouTube channel, or if you upload them online yourself. SSYouTube.com is an easy way to save videos. They also look pretty as you can easily embed them into PPT/Keynote and they load instantly. I only learned this pretty late into college. There are plenty of presentations I made with tons of broken YouTube links, and I wish I could still see them.

Archived