WFRV's Gray Lines

Wisco TV Watcher

On WFRV-DT, all local content (news, commercials, & syndicated programming) in SD has annoying gray lines on the sides, instead of the black that you see on most stations.

I find it to be very distracting and unattractive. Does anyone know why they do this?

Do you think, if I wrote to the station, that they would consider changing this?

I think Sam Horn is right. When I got my HDTV about 2 years ago the HD channels showed the ugly gray bars and the SD channels were gray as well so what I did I stretched the image so that the bars would not burn through an image through the tv.

I prefer the bars... I've got used to them pretty quickly. I'd rather watch something with the bars rather than in "stretch-o-vision" as it's been nicknamed.

If I had to choose, I'd rank black pillars and graphics pillars (like ESPN uses) roughly equal... both are pretty good. The graphics pillars, if designed right, would be my preference. FSN used some really nice looking graphics pillars for the last game I saw on FSN Wisconsin.

I would not choose TNT style stretch-o-vision, or the FOX Sports blur/clone/stretch technique they use to "fake" widescreen. Both are fairly obnoxious, with TNT's style being the absolute worst. It makes my eyes hurt to look at that.

Archived