Advocacy and TV stations

NewzPimpin

The Fox affiliate here in Memphis has a habit of taking up community causes. They use their facilities to produce promos and campaigns that advocate things like cancer prevention, fighting hunger, etc. All noble causes, indeed. But here is my question: is this the job of a TV station? Also, Fox 13 features these campaigns during their newscasts. Like I said, the actual causes are great; I'm just not sure that a news operation has any business telling people what causes to support.

I voted no....but lemme explain.

I'm okay with them doing charitable stuff, but I dislike activist journalism. I feel it's biased.

I'm kind of with you on this. I have no problem with them doing charitable stuff, but sometimes I do wonder if the activist journalism is nothing more than free advertising for certain groups. You can apply the same question when it comes to some commercials.

Cfif has a good point. When journalists, for whatever reason, take up causes, it has ethical implications. Journalists have a duty to inform the community and make it aware.

However, social causes are outside of the sphere of 'informing the community.' We're supposed to bring the voice to the voiceless, but we're not supposed to cast our lot with them, and take positions. When we do, we violate ethics. We're supposed to report the story, not become part of it. We are observers, not participants.

Activist journalism and muckracking have a place, but should be used with extreme caution, if used at all, and if it warrants, following strict ethical guidelines.

Is it bad for your station to support, say, breast cancer? No. But it needs to be made clear that this being headed by the community affairs part of the station, and station talent should be used sparingly, if at all. If the station GM, or an Ad Exec wants to go on camera and talk about homeless children, or adoption, or other 'causes,' they can go ahead.

Archived