FOX 8 News in Cleveland dubuts the Fox O&O look yesterday

sg9018

July 17,2007 was a big day for two Fox O&Os. Yesterday Fox 8 News dubuts the Fox O&O look on there 5pm newscast. Here is a link to there website where you can see set tours,blogs,timelaspe of the new set,reports and more.

http://www.myfoxcleveland.com/myfox/pages/InsideFox/Detail?contentId=3757350&version=16&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=5.7.1

And yet, this is one of the FOX O&Os up for sale. Could this be good news for WITI?

Doubt it. More than likely they had the changeover in process before the sale was announced. Plus, WITI just hasn't given a crap in years, the chances they'd be interested in improving their newscast (past adding in off-the-shelf Digital Juice graphics) is next to nil, IMHO,

Way KEWL!

Although I would have like to have seen them convert ALL of their weather graphic over to the myFOX system instead of them having to have mixed old and new graphics together. The 8-Day just looks tacky and off-kelter set against the new myFOX background.

[yt=425,350]P-74FjnjExk[/yt]

And in the news open, I would have like to have seen WJW plug the fact that they are in HD. I do like Greg O'Neil's v/o although it's too bad they could not get Scott Chapin (because he's the voice of competitor WEWS)

[yt=425,350]28yrCjyEvyw[/yt]

I do like the traffic graphics in the top-left corner, and the ad break teases. Both are well executed. 8)

[yt=425,350]6FgbaGosRR4[/yt]

My grade: A- to an A. Not an A+ because of the weather graphics issues I stated above. But this probably the best myFOX package second only to WTVT. Nice work, WJW.

Why do their main anchors sit SO far apart? it looks dumb, on fox5 in ny their anchors are basically on top of eachother, is this b/c fox 8 is in hd? notice in some of the clips the sports anchor sits like 2 inches away from the female anchor and then the other male anchor is a good 3 feet away

I just watched the first block of that here's my two cents...

-Anchors are wayyyyy to far apart.

-The back of the set is pretty dark. The FOX 8 logo in the male anchor's bust shot is pretty dark. And the skyline is pretty dark too.

-All the "Live" interstitials are overkill. I like one when you bump IN to the live shot, but not bumping OUT. It gets annoying.

-I don't know how common this is, but I don't like how Anchor A intros a reporter, and when that reporter throws it back, they throw to Anchor B. In my market, it's ALWAYS the exact opposite of that at every station.

-The OTSs are just plain bad.

-I like the desk.

-The sports guy's bust shot is pretty nice.

I didn't like WJW's old look all that much, but this is just too much. Way too busy.

I do like Greg O'Neil's v/o although it's too bad they could not get Scott Chapin (because he's the voice of competitor WEWS)

Scott Chapin hasn't been used on WEWS since 2004. Since then, they've switched to Sean Caldwell, and now, Lance Hildebrand.

And just because a station has used someone before, it doesn't mean that they can't resurface at another station in the market. Ed O'Brien was the voice of WUAB in the 90s and is the current voice of WKYC. Even Scott has jumped stations....he did WNBC in the 90s and voiced WNYW until they unveiled the O&O look. As long as they're not under contract...they'll jump to the first station that pays them.

As for WJW...Greg O'Neill is an enormous improvement over Jeff David. But I still miss Paul Turner...except for hearing "Eight is news" every other sentence.

I do like Greg O'Neil's v/o although it's too bad they could not get Scott Chapin (because he's the voice of competitor WEWS)

Scott Chapin hasn't been used on WEWS since 2004. Since then, they've switched to Sean Caldwell, and now, Lance Hildebrand.

And just because a station has used someone before, it doesn't mean that they can't resurface at another station in the market. Ed O'Brien was the voice of WUAB in the 90s and is the current voice of WKYC. Even Scott has jumped stations....he did WNBC in the 90s and voiced WNYW until they unveiled the O&O look. As long as they're not under contract...they'll jump to the first station that pays them.

As for WJW...Greg O'Neill is an enormous improvement over Jeff David. But I still miss Paul Turner...except for hearing "Eight is news" every other sentence. Still, I wouldn't mind hearing Scott Chapin in Cleveland again.

Guest Former Member 207

I only wish KTTV used the version of the Fox O&O graphics that everyone does. Their version is so cheap and bootleg looking.

I only wish KTTV used the version of the Fox O&O graphics that everyone does. Their version is so cheap and bootleg looking.

Actually KTTV Does use this look and the theme music, down to a T...you're probably thinking of GDLA, whose look has been around since early 2001, but really looks like something out of 1993, it's gotta go.

The reason they sit so far apart is because of the HD. In fact, anchor Stacey Bell mentioned it when one of the viewers wrote in asking about it (WJW has this little segment called "sound-off" where viewers can write in comments or questions, and they'll be read on the 5pm newscast).

Anyway, graphics: the weather ones look horrible, even in HD. I hope they'll change soon. I also don't like the ots graphics, tacky. The openings are really short, compared to the old ones. That will be tough to get used to, for me.

Set: not bad, except a few of you have said it's sort of dark in a few places. I agree

The reason they sit so far apart is because of the HD. In fact, anchor Stacey Bell mentioned it when one of the viewers wrote in asking about it (WJW has this little segment called "sound-off" where viewers can write in comments or questions, and they'll be read on the 5pm newscast).

Anyway, graphics: the weather ones look horrible, even in HD. I hope they'll change soon. I also don't like the ots graphics, tacky. The openings are really short, compared to the old ones. That will be tough to get used to, for me.

Set: not bad, except a few of you have said it's sort of dark in a few places. I agree

This might be going out on a limb, but I have a feeling the weather graphics not changing might have to do with Dick Goddard. Weather Graphics are some of the most complex to change, and in several cases the weather staff is oblivious to how they work (I've had that before)...It often comes down to Creative Services having to go in and change them out themselves. After all, their skills are in forecasting the weather, not in graphic design.

Guest Former Member 207

Actually KTTV Does use this look and the theme music, down to a T...you're probably thinking of GDLA, whose look has been around since early 2001, but really looks like something out of 1993, it's gotta go.

No, what I meant is that the Fox O&O graphics on KTTV don't animate (probably lack of a better term) like do with WAGA and WTXF (for an example). Trust me, I mostly watch KTTV for my news, moreso than the other local stations. It's not really a big deal about the graphics, but I've seen recent video clips of WAGA and WTXF with the Fox O&O graphics. The differences is the "lights" behind the "11" in the KTTV logo doesn't animate the others do, while the time on KTTV is placed in the lower right corner, and the time is placed in the lower third of the other stations' logos, the lower third usually rotates around. Again, no biggie, but I wanted to point out the differences.

Archived