WSB adds streaming-exclusive channel & newscast

ChesapeakeTV

I don't often go out of my way to make topical threads, but as far as I'm aware this is the first time anyone's tried this, and it seemed worthy of separation from all the Cox divestiture talk...

WSB has just announced this morning that they'll be airing a 2 hour extension of Action News This Morning from 7 to 9 AM - exclusively on something else that just recently launched, "WSB NOW" - a 24/7 streaming-only channel that simulcasts their other newscasts and airs locally-produced lifestyle shows and the like the rest of the time. They claim this is the first time a local TV station anywhere has taken a shot at streaming-exclusive newscasts, let alone a streaming-exclusive channel.

Quoting the article,

In addition to nine hours of regular live newscasts from 4:30-9 a.m., 12-1 p.m., 4-7 p.m. and 11-11:35 p.m., “WSB NOW” programs the 24/7 stream with shows about local lifestyle, sports and what’s trending.

Some of the locally produced shows running on WSB Now are “Access Atlanta,” “Cook Like a Pro,” “Food Truck Diaries” and “Kelley Blue Book Drives.” Other original local shows will run such as “Game Changers,” “Georgia’s Hidden Treasures," "Hot Topics" and "People 2 People."

It's an interesting approach for sure - but it'll be just as interesting to see if it actually pans out...

I don't often go out of my way to make topical threads, but as far as I'm aware this is the first time anyone's tried this, and it seemed worthy of separation from all the Cox divestiture talk...

WSB has just announced this morning that they'll be airing a 2 hour extension of Action News This Morning from 7 to 9 AM - exclusively on something else that just recently launched, "WSB NOW" - a 24/7 streaming-only channel that simulcasts their other newscasts and airs locally-produced lifestyle shows and the like the rest of the time. They claim this is the first time a local TV station anywhere has taken a shot at streaming-exclusive newscasts, let alone a streaming-exclusive channel.

Quoting the article,

It's an interesting approach for sure - but it'll be just as interesting to see if it actually pans out...

1) It started last week, not today.

2) WSB is the first to offer a 24/7 streaming channel, that is true.

3) WSB's not the first to offer streaming-exclusive newscasts... KIRO Seattle, KELO Sioux Falls and KOKH Oklahoma City have all done it before.

Archived