My Opinion: Eyewitness News

Jake

I'm just offering one man's opinion on each station here, hopefully to spur some debate. It's not definitive, just what I think.

AM: Ukee and Susan Barnett might be the best anchor team in town. Again, content doesn't really enter into any of this, because all the stations cover the same news, with just stylistic variation. Ukee is so comfortable on camera and it's always nice when personality comes through. Susan is very pretty and confident on camera. Maria LaRosa does well reading what the computer spits out (which is really what all these guys do). Tom Lamaine is a legend and nothing can take away from that, but it's time for him to retire. He's making too many mistakes on the air these days and sometimes just seems lost. I know a lot of people like Bob Kelly because he's very "up" and personable, but he annoys the hell out of me. His little colloquealisms like "shutdown mode" grate on my nerves. He's just trying too damn hard. "like me, like me, like me."

Noon: Don't watch it.

4pm: Marc Howard is great, though it might be time for him to retire as well. I give him props for having the guts to jump stations at this point in his career when he could have just as easily coasted into retirement at Action News. I can't even remember his sidekick's name, which tells me something.

6 & 11: Okay, as I said in another post, I hate "know it all" Larry, but as much of a disaster she is in her personal life, Alycia Lane is a perfectly competent newsreader and very pretty, which is pretty much what her job requires. Sometimes a little personality seeps through, which is nice. I don't think she tries to be what she's not, which is my biggest problem with Larry. He sort of comes off as a guy who would give you his opinion on everything, whether you want it or not. And he needs to stay off the Eagles programming. I think Larry would love to do the entire newscast himself. He seems condescneding, which I do not want from my news anchor. He may look down on Alycia, which is widely reported, but guess what, you're in the same job. Kathy Orr is nice, again reads the weather from the computer well enough, although her odd, vaguely Midwestern twang is grating. I liked Steve Bucci, but not Beasley Reece. He's got that quality I've noticed in other pro athetes turned broadcasters: he's got this air like it's still about him and he doesn't have credibility covering other sports.

Their reporters are all competent and what the vets bring to the table shows with Walt Hunter and Robin McIntosh. The younger reporters are ok, but it seems like every young person in the business is the same these days. Brandy Bell needs to lighten up, as does Jim Osman, Robin Rieger is good, Cydney Long is ok, I like Leslie VanArsdall and I'm still trying to figure out what's up with Valerie Levesque's wardrobe.

So, do you agree, disagree, think I'm crazy?

I'm just offering one man's opinion on each station here, hopefully to spur some debate. It's not definitive, just what I think.

AM: Ukee and Susan Barnett might be the best anchor team in town. Again, content doesn't really enter into any of this, because all the stations cover the same news, with just stylistic variation. Ukee is so comfortable on camera and it's always nice when personality comes through. Susan is very pretty and confident on camera. Maria LaRosa does well reading what the computer spits out (which is really what all these guys do). Tom Lamaine is a legend and nothing can take away from that, but it's time for him to retire. He's making too many mistakes on the air these days and sometimes just seems lost. I know a lot of people like Bob Kelly because he's very "up" and personable, but he annoys the hell out of me. His little colloquealisms like "shutdown mode" grate on my nerves. He's just trying too damn hard. "like me, like me, like me."

Couldn't agree with you more on Bob Kelly. One can only take the "jelly donuts" a certain amount of times before it just gets old.

Tom Lamaine though is great at what he does and I hope he can continue his greatness.

Noon: Don't watch it.

Nothing really to watch except for the fact that Pat Ciarrocchi really needs to stop dressing like a whore. She is too damned old to be doing that and it damned sure isn't attractive. Last thing I need when I'm eating lunch is to see Pat in a low cut blouse revealing her wrinkly freckled, liver spotted cleavage and to top it all off with her wearing a leather skirt like she's about to hustle someone at a pool hall.

4pm: Marc Howard is great, though it might be time for him to retire as well. I give him props for having the guts to jump stations at this point in his career when he could have just as easily coasted into retirement at Action News. I can't even remember his sidekick's name, which tells me something.

Marc really needs to hang it up. He really comes off as someone just mailin' it in. His rough and somewhat abrasive delivery doesn't help matters much either. Angela Russell is actually a good anchor and if 3 were smart, they'd put her in the top spot over Lane.

6 & 11: Okay, as I said in another post, I hate "know it all" Larry, but as much of a disaster she is in her personal life, Alycia Lane is a perfectly competent newsreader and very pretty, which is pretty much what her job requires. Sometimes a little personality seeps through, which is nice. I don't think she tries to be what she's not, which is my biggest problem with Larry. He sort of comes off as a guy who would give you his opinion on everything, whether you want it or not. And he needs to stay off the Eagles programming. I think Larry would love to do the entire newscast himself. He seems condescneding, which I do not want from my news anchor. He may look down on Alycia, which is widely reported, but guess what, you're in the same job. Kathy Orr is nice, again reads the weather from the computer well enough, although her odd, vaguely Midwestern twang is grating. I liked Steve Bucci, but not Beasley Reece. He's got that quality I've noticed in other pro athetes turned broadcasters: he's got this air like it's still about him and he doesn't have credibility covering other sports.

Simply put, Larry's ego grew cause his paycheck grew. I don't ever remember him being this arrogant when he was 10, possibly because of the fact that he was surrounded by great talent and felt he didn't have to do everything. I think 3 really feeds his ego to the point where he seems like he's pontificating over the news rather than presenting it and everyone else on the set are merely his minions.

Alycia Lane really needs to get off her high horse. Philadelphia Magazine just debuted its "Best of Philly" issue last week and nominated her in a tongue-in-cheek fashion for "Best PenPal" and she got all pissy about it to the point where she blew off the awards party (in which her station is the media sponsor of "Best of Philly" and she was supposed to speak at the event) because she was "insulted" by the magazine. How can one be so thin-skinned that they would risk losing their job because they were insulted. She really needs to grow up.

Their reporters are all competent and what the vets bring to the table shows with Walt Hunter and Robin McIntosh. The younger reporters are ok, but it seems like every young person in the business is the same these days. Brandy Bell needs to lighten up, as does Jim Osman, Robin Rieger is good, Cydney Long is ok, I like Leslie VanArsdall and I'm still trying to figure out what's up with Valerie Levesque's wardrobe.

So, do you agree, disagree, think I'm crazy?

Brandy Bell is simply a bitch. I'm not going to get into why I say that but take my word on it.

Overall good analysis though.

I think almost every anchor at KYW have mannorisms that stick out like sore thumbs. Ukee has a smooth delivery which I love and which I why I enjoy watching Eyewitness News This Morning. Bob Kelly needs to stop being so damn "Over the Top Philly Guy" during his traffic reports. At least Bob doesn't put you to sleep like John Valerio did at WPVI. I agree that Marc Howard needs to hang it up because they tried to make him rival Jim Gardner but it didn't work. As for Larry Mendte, ok I have to admit I listened to his Broadcast Pioneers speeches and they were great but definitely comes off as if he's pushing Alycia Lane out of her seat, maybe because she's not "Philly enough" for his liking. It does seem like he's trying to act like he's "Mr. Philly" but at least he is helping charities like Alex's Lemonade Stand and doing things that Jim Gardner and his major pompous ego would never think of doing. I kinda think Larry has an internal pissing contest against Jim Gardner that spills into a rocky relationship with Alycia, yet Alycia is no angel herself as all know. Kathy Orr's Buffalo accent is a little annoying at times but I like her. Beasley Reece puts me to sleep as does Vai Sikahema which is why i like Gary Papa, Tolly, or even John Clark.

I miss Ukee and Amy Caples. Ever since Amy Caples left, I stopped watching 3 and switched to either 10 or 29.

Ukee and Susan are actually good together. I miss Amy too and it took awhile to get use to Susan but she's good with Ukee.

So do we really know these things about Alycia are true? Or is it what sells papers? And the same with Jim Gardner?

I think you can see Larry's ego on the news, and I can't stand it. He thinks he's better and is so opinionated. He needs to feel in charge or dominate everything when he's on. He tells every story like it's the end of the world. It's all about him.

Kathy Orr I like her, she does a fine weather cast and I'm glad Brooks is gone.

Steve Bucci should have been kept he was very good, Beasley I could take or leave him.

So do we really know these things about Alycia are true? Or is it what sells papers? And the same with Jim Gardner?

I can confirm both. With Gardner, both employees and people that have run into him on the street have said he comes off like an asshole.

Brandy Bell is simply a bitch. I'm not going to get into why I say that but take my word on it.

I don't think you can say something like that and not back it up with some kind of fact.

And yeah, clearly Mendte wants to be Garner and I'm sure he sees himself as heir to the throne as top newsguy when they finally take Jim off the Action News set in a body bag. And it's so obvious he thinks the only reason Alycia is there is because she's so pretty, but guess what, your job is to read the news off of a TelePromtper, so being appealing to viewers, for whatever reason, is a big part of the job.

Alycia Lane really needs to get off her high horse. Philadelphia Magazine just debuted its "Best of Philly" issue last week and nominated her in a tongue-in-cheek fashion for "Best PenPal" and she got all pissy about it to the point where she blew off the awards party (in which her station is the media sponsor of "Best of Philly" and she was supposed to speak at the event) because she was "insulted" by the magazine. How can one be so thin-skinned that they would risk losing their job because they were insulted.

I am sure Alycia is in no danger of losing her job. The only way she's out of CBS3 is to go to a bigger market or mebbe jump to a cable news network. I'm not sure she's being thin skinned about the Rich Eisen thing. C'mon, it's embarrasing. Philly Mag took their swipe, and it is funny, but I can see her not wanting to be a part of it. I'm sure she just wants it all to go away.

I don't think you can say something like that and not back it up with some kind of fact.

I actually could but I choose not to. Let's just say I had a personal run in with her.

And yeah, clearly Mendte wants to be Garner and I'm sure he sees himself as heir to the throne as top newsguy when they finally take Jim off the Action News set in a body bag. And it's so obvious he thinks the only reason Alycia is there is because she's so pretty, but guess what, your job is to read the news off of a TelePromtper, so being appealing to viewers, for whatever reason, is a big part of the job.

Alycia Lane really needs to get off her high horse. Philadelphia Magazine just debuted its "Best of Philly" issue last week and nominated her in a tongue-in-cheek fashion for "Best PenPal" and she got all pissy about it to the point where she blew off the awards party (in which her station is the media sponsor of "Best of Philly" and she was supposed to speak at the event) because she was "insulted" by the magazine. How can one be so thin-skinned that they would risk losing their job because they were insulted.

I am sure Alycia is in no danger of losing her job. The only way she's out of CBS3 is to go to a bigger market or mebbe jump to a cable news network. I'm not sure she's being thin skinned about the Rich Eisen thing. C'mon, it's embarrasing. Philly Mag took their swipe, and it is funny, but I can see her not wanting to be a part of it. I'm sure she just wants it all to go away.

You're missing the point. It was part of her job to go and talk at the party as the station is the media sponsor of the event and she is one of the faces of the station. She really should have sucked it up (no pun intended, or was it? ;D) and went. Her getting all bent out of shape didn't accomplish much.

But by extension could you also not argue that being a media partner of CBS3 Philly Mag shouldn't have slammed her like that, bringing it up once again and embarassing her, and by extention their media partner CBS3? Synergy works both ways. It's six or one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

The real point is that, while I personal enjoy reading about it, Alycia needs to learn to keep her personal life out of the media. If you go on Dr. Phil after your first divorce and then model your prospective wedding gowns on the news, you open your personal life up to comment. She came into town riding a "Latina Bombshell" wave and even had her measurements published in the Daily News. And remember, I LIKE Alycia, but I don't think you can have it both ways. if you want the positive, fawning publicity, you've got to take the flipside. Alycia is personable on the air and good at her job, but the sideshow distracts from that and people will take you less seriously. Case in point, Action News's resident whack job, Monica Malpass.

Alycia is personable on the air and good at her job, but the sideshow distracts from that and people will take you less seriously. Case in point, Action News's resident whack job, Monica Malpass.

Yes! I used to really like Monica too until she started going after Ernie Anastos' all time record for number of facelifts by a news anchor. Then she had that fiasco with her divorce and everything.

Alycia is personable on the air and good at her job, but the sideshow distracts from that and people will take you less seriously. Case in point, Action News's resident whack job, Monica Malpass.

Yes! I used to really like Monica too until she started going after Ernie Anastos' all time record for number of facelifts by a news anchor. Then she had that fiasco with her divorce and everything.

Speaking of which...what's the latest scoreboard update on Anastos v. Malpass in the World Facelift Series?

Speaking of which...what's the latest scoreboard update on Anastos v. Malpass in the World Facelift Series?

Anastos is currently at 755 with Malpass just 1 botox shot away from tying the record. Some people have been saying Monica has artificially enhanced her numbers after receiving a number of collagen injections while Ernie did it the old fashion way taking three days off and getting surgery. If you've noticed, Monica's lips are 3 times bigger than they were just 10 years ago.

Noon:

Nothing really to watch except for the fact that Pat Ciarrocchi really needs to stop dressing like a whore. She is too damned old to be doing that and it damned sure isn't attractive. Last thing I need when I'm eating lunch is to see Pat in a low cut blouse revealing her wrinkly freckled, liver spotted cleavage and to top it all off with her wearing a leather skirt like she's about to hustle someone at a pool hall.

At noon I disagree about Pat's wardrobe, I think it isn't that bad. I think Pat & Ukee are great together.

Marc really needs to hang it up. He really comes off as someone just mailin' it in. His rough and somewhat abrasive delivery doesn't help matters much either. Angela Russell is actually a good anchor and if 3 were smart, they'd put her in the top spot over Lane.

At 4PM Marc is still good and doesn't need to retire, I think Angela Russell is okay but I don't find her to be that great of an anchor.

At 4PM Marc is still good and doesn't need to retire, I think Angela Russell is okay but I don't find her to be that great of an anchor.

As long as Marc remembers where he works he does an alright job.

Interesting thread, and good points made by all. I think Ukee is great, and Susan seems to do well. Howard is like a cranky old man. I can't stand Larry Mendte. Pat's okay at Noon. She's good at what she does. As for looks...take a long hard look at the men on air in Phila. Gardner and Howard with their "powdered wig" look, Mendte's hair is a color not even found in nature. They can't even hide the bags and wrinkles on Gardner and Howard and even Mendte. Have you seen Macintosh, Standish, Hunter, Henry and Rawlins in the daylight? Yet people say the job is all about looks. Maybe for women. I didn't know Monica had a facelift. Botox and collagen are not facelifts, so which exactly has she had? She pretty much looks the same to me. I like her. Someone please pick out the hottest on air guy from Philly from the following:

Gardner, Mendte, Howard, Washington, Lake, Dementri, Williams, Standish, Macintosh, Hunter, D. Henry, J. Rawlins, Hairston, Sikahema, J. Clark, Papa, Reece, Dave Roberts, G. Schwartz. Ain't none of them making it on to the cover of Men's Health. So tell me again, this business is all about looks, right?

Mendte's hair is a color not even found in nature. They can't even hide the bags and wrinkles on Gardner and Howard and even Mendte. Have you seen Macintosh, Standish, Hunter, Henry and Rawlins in the daylight?

Well, much like in the rest of life,there is a double standard when it comes to looks and men and women. All the stations seem to have their hangers on (talking about females), but I give Action News credit for keeping the most and giving them the most air time too. Nora Muchanic, Cathy Gandolfo, obviously they could not leave there and get a job anywhere else at this point and I am not sure they could get on the air in a major market now if they were just starting out. Even when young they were hardly hotties. Look at who's getting the jobs now (and I am not saying these women are all "hot," just that they are thin an atrractive), Valerie Lavesque, Liz Keptner, Erin O'Hearn, Stacey Weaver, Aditi Roy, Lori Wilson, Tasha Jamerson.

Mendte's hair is a color not even found in nature.

Double goes for his skin tone and HD just brings it out. It looks like he rusted out due to old age.

I didn't know Monica had a facelift. Botox and collagen are not facelifts, so which exactly has she had? She pretty much looks the same to me. I like her.

Monica's had all the above. Her plastic surgeon was interviewed in the Daily Snooze a while back when she was having all of those personal problems.

Alycia should humbly bow down before the mighty Philadelphia magazine.

She should accept any and all snide shots from anyone with a printing press.

What is wrong with her?

Next thing she'll be ignoring Philadelphia Weekly and the Bucks County Times!

Archived