LA ENG Helicopters

ABC7 Los Angeles

This might be kind of randon, but I'm well connected in the Los Angeles ENG helicopter community. To become a pilot/reporter in Los Angeles, especially for KABC is my passion and I already have the connections to do so. If you have any questions or comments regarding any of the helicopters feel free to post them. I'll answer what ever questions you can shoot at me regarding the helicopters. I can also post pictures of any helicopter you request from Los Angeles.

- Gabriel

Ok, here is a serious one. Given that most stations in the U.S. use the "Bell Ranger" helicopter, and most of L.A. stations use Eurocopter. What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two?(aside from, Eurocopters fly circles around the Bell Ranger because they are faster.)

The Eurocopter AS-350B2 aka the A-Star beats the Bell 206b JetRanger no doubt. One big reason is that the 206 can only carry the camera system with a half a tank of fuel because of weight balance issuse. In helicopter terms they would have to fly at almost 100% tourque, which is not good for a helicopter. Also, the range on the 206 is less. On the other hand, the A-Star is a more all around better helicopter. I can fly with a full tank of fuel with the camera equipment and since it has a larger cabin, it is more confortable, too. It can also stay in the air longer. There are countless factors, I just can't remember some. All LA station use A-Stars, the only remianing staion with a 206 is KMEX-TV (Univision 34). I'm not counting the Pepsi Jet Ranger that does traffic reports for KTLA-TV and KIIS-FM because they are independent.

Next question! :o

I thought KNBC uses Helinet? If not, who do they use.

http://www.helinetaviation.com/services_eng_clients.php

Helinet is the company that leases out helicopters, not the actual maker of it. KNSD (KNBC's sister station in San Diego) leases out its chopper from Corporate helicopters. A lot of stations do this because its cheaper to lease than to buy, plus all the maintenance and the Pilot(most of the time)are all supplied by the company.

Oh man, you guys are way off. KNBC's helicopter is owned by Coastal Helicopters and is leased to them. Coastal helicopters is partially owned by KABC's pilot/reporter, Scott Reiff. KNBC's helicopter doesn't even have an NBC4 paintjob, its just a plain white A-Star.

I'll be posting pictures of AIR7HD's equipment because she's my favorite and she's got the most money put into her. KABC is one of Helinet's best clients. Let me know what pictures of other helicopters you want to see, so I can do it all in one reply.

Oh man, you guys are way off. KNBC's helicopter is owned by Coastal Helicopters and is leased to them. Coastal helicopters is partially owned by KABC's pilot/reporter, Scott Reiff. KNBC's helicopter doesn't even have an NBC4 paintjob, its just a plain white A-Star.

I'll be posting pictures of AIR7HD's equipment because she's my favorite and she's got the most money put into her. KABC is one of Helinet's best clients. Let me know what pictures of other helicopters you want to see, so I can do it all in one reply.

How about the Duopoly's Choppers? 2&9.

Here are pictures of my favorite helicopter, AIR7HD. That's me in some of the pictures.

CIMG1907.JPG?imgmax=576

CIMG0168.JPG?imgmax=576

That's me in the front seat with the grey shirt!

Helinet.004.jpg?imgmax=640

Helinet.003.jpg?imgmax=640

Helinet.007.jpg?imgmax=512

Here are some pictures I took from the helicopter.

CIMG0764.JPG?imgmax=640

CIMG0765.JPG?imgmax=640

Here are pictures of the equipment.

CIMG0682.JPG?imgmax=576

abq.sized.jpg

abo.sized.jpg

That's me with ABC7 mock-up graphics I made. I don't look very good in this picture.

LIVE.jpg?imgmax=512

Thanks for the clarification.

ED1,

Comparing a R44 to an A-Star is like comparing a Toyota to a Ferrari! The 44 are only used in mid to smaller markets that want to try to have an ENG program. They are not turbine (jet) powered like the 206’s, Longrangers or the A-Stars and can carry a much smaller payload.

Because of this, 44’s usually carry very basic equipment. A single microwave transmitter, a small monitor or two, a single tape deck and a camera that is on average half as powerful (40X compared to 84X) to other gyro-stabilized units, is the standard ENG package for a Robinson.

There is no way that can compare with the advanced multi-mode transmitters, receivers and antennas, HD long lens cameras and other advanced equipment that the big market ships carry. You can load up an A-Star with ENG equipment, full fuel and a 3 people and still fly for over 2.5 hours.

The only advantage that a 44 has over the turbine models is overall acquisition and operating costs. Obviously that’s the reason why the smaller markets use them. As the old saying goes, “something is better than nothing”. On the other hand and as the other old saying goes, “you get what you pay for!”

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool pics.

What airport does cbs2 & kcal9 fly out of? Just curious.

Oh, and any idea why KCRP's copter (first picture) is doing out here?

I'm pretty sure most of the Los Angeles ENG birds are based out of Van Nuys (KVNY).

This "KCRP" chopper looks strangely like KCRA's Livecopter 3 HD, but without the 3 logo and these "KCRP" calls on the tail boom. I'd definitely like to know what's up with that...

Very cool pics.

What airport does cbs2 & kcal9 fly out of? Just curious.

Oh, and any idea why KCRP's copter (first picture) is doing out here?

Thanks again for posting the pics.

I knew you guys were going to ask about that and I got my answer ready. The reason why it has the KCRA LiveCopter 3 HD paint is because it was the helicopter used for the promo shots. But, KCRA does have a permanent helicopter up there with the same paint job. As for the KCRP branding on it, I was told it was put on for production either for a TV series or movie. It's only a matter of time before the generic LiveCopter paint gets removed an replaced with a permanent paint. One more thing to add about N43HA is that it also serves as the backup ship for the TV stations when their ships are in service.

I'll be posting some KCBS and KCAL helicopters pictures soon. Say tuned.

Archived