WINK TV

NewsReporter25

I've heard that WINK News is in the process of getting new graphics, new theme music package (thank goodness) and new cameras. I'm not a technologically inclined, but the cams for the photogs out in the field will soon be shot on a card, not on DVC anymore.

They've recently signed with Octopus to do up the new gpx package, to replace the stuff they've had for about four-years now.

As for the music, it's production stuff -- not Gari or Arnold type. Even though they went from U-Phonix to Vantage Point by Megatrax in March, they're already going to something else.

Your thoughts?

I've heard that WINK News is in the process of getting new graphics, new theme music package (thank goodness) and new cameras. I'm not a technologically inclined, but the cams for the photogs out in the field will soon be shot on a card, not on DVC anymore.

It's called P2, and it's a relatively new solid-state storage technology manufactured by Panasonic. It still uses the DVCPRO format for saving video, but instead of recording to tape, it saves it on a series of 3-6 gigabyte cards (similar to PCMCIA cards) that cost roughly $3,000 apiece. P2 is the prime competitor to Sony's XDCAM optical-disc based recording medium, and both are capable of recording in high definition.

KTVU recently upgraded its news department to P2 and DVCPRO HD cameras (from a mix of Betacam SP and SX), but for now, everything in the field will still be shot in 16:9 standard definition.

Archived