KBTX Anchor Charged in Prescription Drug Case

jdcnow

This is in Bryan/College Station, Texas, the small-town market immediately north-northwest of Houston

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/9040992.html

News 3's Joe Brown was charged Wednesday with two counts of fraudulent possession of prescription drugs.

Court documents state Brown received 210 doses of Hydrocodone in a 17-day period in January from three different doctors and three different pharmacies.

Brown underwent his second major back surgery in October 2006.

Over the past few years, he cared for his wife, who suffered from anorexia and died in May.

Brown was released Wednesday from the Brazos County jail on a personal recognizance bond.

KBTX General Manager Mike Wright released the following statement:

"Stories like this are never easy to report. When we first learned of the pending charge against Joe Brown, as any family would do, we showed our emotional support for him.

"Our obligation, however, is to uphold our commitment to fairly and accurately report on events and people making news. To treat this situation any differently would compromise the trust you have placed in KBTX as a reliable source for information.

"At the heart of KBTX is a deep commitment to do what is right, even if we become the news. Such is the case with KBTX News Three anchor Joe Brown.

"Joe will remain on leave from KBTX until issues surrounding this case are resolved."

Attorney Jay Granberry, who is representing Brown along with Earl Gray, released the following statement:

"Joe makes no excuses and takes responsibility for his actions.

"Although anxious for a resolution through the justice system, Joe has voluntarily begun treatment.

"He's confident -- and we're confident -- that he will work through this and soon return to the job he loves and to the community that he cares so much about."

One person commented through KBTX's website:

wow joe you drink and drive, do drugs and you still have a job waiting for you. have i been mistaken by telling my teenagers don't drink and drive,don't do drugs. because you will never find a great job. i suppose i was wrong look at the message that KBTX is sending to our children future leaders. you can break the law several times by driving drunk and by being a drug addictamd we still will allow you to broadcast the news. am i missing something here? KBTX yes support your co-worker but why reward him with a position in your station that could be filled with someone that can say no to drugs and dwi. maybe you can really help him by making him start at the bottom and earn his anchor position back. maybe this would be the rock bottom that from i hear drug addicts need to hit before they can help themselves. Joe good luck on getting better. i don't think i will be watching the news if i see you reporting it . i know that everyone should get a second chance but over 200 perscriptions?

Archived