WFRV going HD?

Wisco TV Watcher

The other day, I noticed that some of the video (a field report) used in "Channel 5 News" was widescreen. Does this mean that they are going HD eventually?

I can't imagine that they would have a widescreen SD camera.

The set is fairly new, so I assume that it is HD ready.

WFRV was the first station in the market to introduce HD programming in 2003, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were first with HD news.

The other day, I noticed that some of the video (a field report) used in "Channel 5 News" was widescreen. Does this mean that they are going HD eventually?

Widescreen as it filled the screen on your 16:9 televsion, or you saw it as letterboxed on your 4:3 television?

If it was letterboxed on a 4:3 screen, there's a pretty good chance they bought some stringer video that was shot in a letterboxed "widescreen" format (read: fake "widescreen," where black bars are added to the top and bottom of a 4:3 image making it look 16:9, but it's not really widescreen), and then dropped it into a package.

Most decent ENG cameras have CCD's that are 4:3/16:9 switchable (and most...former, in WFRV's case...CBS O&Os have relatively new Panasonic DVCPRO camcorders), so it wouldn't totally be a shock if they did have some standard definition 16:9 cameras at thier disposal.

FYI - Many of the CBS O&Os have or are in the process of switching over to Sony's XDCam.

Which leads me to one of my favorite quotes...

"...the XD is like any other camera you've used, except there's a spinning laser inside that could cleave your melon in half should you crack it open at the wrong time. Happy Shooting!"

Archived