RTN coming to many stations.

WXGZ-TV

I wish WBAY was getting The Tube music network for WBAY-DT3, but I am happy about this as well.

Why is it that, in market 70, only WBAY and WPNE (PBS) have digital subchannels? What is with WFRV, WLUK, and WGBA? Jeez, it's 2007 now. Come on, get with it already!

I wish WFRV would pickup the tube, but I would rather watch RTN.

I wish WBAY was getting The Tube music network for WBAY-DT3, but I am happy about this as well.

Why is it that, in market 70, only WBAY and WPNE (PBS) have digital subchannels? What is with WFRV, WLUK, and WGBA? Jeez, it's 2007 now. Come on, get with it already!

Digital Subchannels = BAD

All it does is sap bandwidth from the main channel, which just means HD broadcasts end up looking like crap. I mean, if a channel has no HD content, and has no plans to offer HD content, it's one thing; but for instance, here in Milwaukee, WDJT-58 (CBS affiliate) insists on broadcasting WMLW on it's subchannel, which ends up making most HD programs they carry look really bad, with tons of compression artifacts and macroblocking. Any HD with fast moving video, like sporting events, ends up being almost unwatchable.

I applaud any station choosing to avoid broadcasting subchannel content. It's a cool idea from a technical aspect, but it should never have been allowed in the real world.

RTN is owned by Equity Broadcasting and is marketed for stations' use on their digital subchannel. It consists of "retro television" programs. In July, CBS Television Distribution licensed RTN to broadcast its library programming. Their flagship station is WNGS in Buffalo (http://www.rtn11.com). It would appear as though Capitol Broadcasting, Cox, Young, and Media General have made deals to affiliate stations with RTN.

It will be interesting to see if CBS affiliates its owned stations with the service.

Archived