St. Louis legend in news to retire at the end of the month

jhampsten

No, not who your thinking, besides Larry Conners just got news 4 to number 1 in the country. But Karen Foss who has been with KSDK since 1979 and is the only reason people watched Newschannel 5 for years is retiring at the end of december. Link below:

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=109470

Best wishes to Karen in her retirement, and can we now proclaim NEWS 4 as the leader in st. louis for decades to come.

...is the only reason people watched Newschannel 5 for years...

...can we now proclaim NEWS 4 as the leader in st. louis for decades to come.

Those seem like very hasty generalizations.  I think it is too soon to proclaim anything; we'll just have to wait to see how the situation is handled by KSDK.  If the rumors that Karen Foss was forced out are true, this is certainly a black eye for KSDK.  However, behind Karen Foss is still an experienced and relatively well-know, well-liked duo of female anchors (Deanne Lane and Kay Quinn), assuming KSDK decides to hire from within (which is a toss-up given their history).  Just as KMOV and KTVI were not negatively affected by their respective losses of Julius Hunter and Dick Ford, KSDK without Karen Foss may not suffer as much as people seem to be hoping or predicting (especially on the boards at http://www.stlmedia.net).

I also agree that Larry Conners will retire within the next few years.  Where does that leave KMOV?  The station's other anchors are unkown in St. Louis.

I think News Channel 5's audience has been deteriorating or changing over the years because the quality of the station has decentagrated.

Channel 5 is no longer dominant, lively, or has that mid-westerny eerieness that the station represented for a number of years. Add to that the decline of great programming on NBC, the constant changing of news personalities, and bland creative choices in the graphic arts department are factors that have contributed to KSDK's spiraling demise from being a "leader" in the industry to just another station.

Karen Foss is an example of broadcast professionalism that has been consistently stable; a testament that "leadership" and "longevity" in television journalism is something that may never again be achieved in the way that community icons such as Karen Foss have accomplished, thus suggesting that real newsroom leadership and longevity will never be achieved with the current media generation or the media generations to come.

Having moved into this market, my observations is that Deanne Lane and Kay Quinn were being groomed to take on the role - even though thats a Gannett decision (as was the cost savings I'm sure). It seemed Karen Foss had lots of time off, including working only 4 days a week.

Although KMOV seems to win late night -- no doubt a result of the CBS line up, they need some changes - set, graphics, and perhaps some fresh anchors. I find Larry Connors a bit long in the tooth, too slow and perhaps ready for retirement too. My opinion, as an outsider moving into the market. Would be nice if they too, went HD considering they and KSDK are the only choices unfortunately. I prefer not to watch Fox, considering my experience is the drek WNYW has put on the air since Fox bought Metromedia.

Having moved into this market, my observations is that Deanne Lane and Kay Quinn were being groomed to take on the role - even though thats a Gannett decision (as was the cost savings I'm sure). It seemed Karen Foss had lots of time off, including working only 4 days a week.

Although KMOV seems to win late night -- no doubt a result of the CBS line up, they need some changes - set, graphics, and perhaps some fresh anchors. I find Larry Connors a bit long in the tooth, too slow and perhaps ready for retirement too. My opinion, as an outsider moving into the market. Would be nice if they too, went HD considering they and KSDK are the only choices unfortunately. I prefer not to watch Fox, considering my experience is the drek WNYW has put on the air since Fox bought Metromedia.

I agree...

Channel 4 has a lot of potential to become a force to be reckoned with in the St. Louis market. KMOV (A. Belo) doesn't want to invest in what it will take to completely bring channel 4 up to #1 in order to compete with channel 5. The station needs a new look and new news music...as well seasoned anchors, other than Mr. Connors.

I agree...

Channel 4 has a lot of potential to become a force to be reckoned with in the St. Louis market. KMOV (A. Belo) doesn't want to invest in what it will take to completely bring channel 4 up to #1 in order to compete with channel 5. The station needs a new look and new news music...as well seasoned anchors, other than Mr. Connors.

Channel 4 needing new news music! THEY JUST CHANGED IT like 2 months ago. They change it what seems like every 6 or 7 months anyway, I personally hate it when they do that. I beg to differ with a new look, they just did a complete overhaul of the 5 and 6 PM newscasts, and it truely gives LOCAL news, I love KMOV the way it is, except get rid of eirhart, and actually get someone for the chief meterologist job who ACTUALLY is a meterologist. Oh and get a live doppler of thier own, or stop proclaimming that their new graphics for the radar is live when it really isn't.

I agree...

Channel 4 needing new news music! THEY JUST CHANGED IT like 2 months ago. They change it what seems like every 6 or 7 months anyway, I personally hate it when they do that. I beg to differ with a new look, they just did a complete overhaul of the 5 and 6 PM newscasts, and it truely gives LOCAL news, I love KMOV the way it is, except get rid of eirhart, and actually get someone for the chief meterologist job who ACTUALLY is a meterologist. Oh and get a live doppler of thier own, or stop proclaimming that their new graphics for the radar is live when it really isn't.

I can understand not wanting the a station to change its music or presentation, but I still say channel 4 KMOV-TV needs to come up to par.

...is the only reason people watched Newschannel 5 for years...

...can we now proclaim NEWS 4 as the leader in st. louis for decades to come.

Those seem like very hasty generalizations. I think it is too soon to proclaim anything; we'll just have to wait to see how the situation is handled by KSDK. If the rumors that Karen Foss was forced out are true, this is certainly a black eye for KSDK. However, behind Karen Foss is still an experienced and relatively well-know, well-liked duo of female anchors (Deanne Lane and Kay Quinn), assuming KSDK decides to hire from within (which is a toss-up given their history). Just as KMOV and KTVI were not negatively affected by their respective losses of Julius Hunter and Dick Ford, KSDK without Karen Foss may not suffer as much as people seem to be hoping or predicting (especially on the boards at http://www.stlmedia.net).

I also agree that Larry Conners will retire within the next few years. Where does that leave KMOV? The station's other anchors are unkown in St. Louis.

Actually KSDK went through something like this before in 1992 when Dick Ford jumped over to KTVI after 23 years at Channel 5.

Karen said in an interview to the St. Louis Post Dispatch today that she was just gonna hang out with friends and family and then see what comes along... makes me wonder if that's not code for "waiting out the non-compete clause"... what do you think?

She said that her plans may include television work but that she has not seriously looked at any other options. She first wants to focus more on spending time with family and friends, she said.

"I really wanted the freedom and the flexibility to consider anything that might come along — or nothing," she said.

Here's the article:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/tvradio/story/43BFDBA0B58C337286257249000E6D18?OpenDocument&highlight=2%2C%22karen%22+AND+%22foss%22

According to the St. Louis Business Journal, Deanne Lane will succeed Karen Foss. Kay Quinn will move up to anchor Lane's current newscasts Monday-Thursday, she will remain on the Sunday broadcasts she already anchors; Cordell Whitlock will replace Quinn on Saturdays. (read the story at http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2006/12/18/daily43.html)

Also, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Jay Randolph is returning to KSDK to do play-by-play of the Cardinals games. Read that story at http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/2C5609C2B99993F28625724B001C10FD?OpenDocument&highlight=2%2C%22KSDK%22.

That's someone who I want to see on Saturday nights... NOT!!!! He's not really that good of an anchor. and I sure hope that this is a joke of jay randolph taking the KSDK games, because that would be 2 of the worst people in baseball, Him and Rick Horton doing the games.

That's someone who I want to see on Saturday nights... NOT!!!! He's not really that good of an anchor.

Considering the fact that Cordell Whitlock really hasn't anchored that much at all, I think he does a pretty good job. Give him time, when he gets some more practice, he will really be an asset to KSDK. I do think, however, that Whitlock would benefit greatly from a co-anchor; when he has been partnered with someone (Kay Quinn, or even Karen Foss), he seems to be under less pressure, and is therefore more natural.

BTW, not that it has anything to do with Whitlock's ability, but Ed Bradley was Cordell Whitlock's godfather. When Bradley died last month, Cordell wrote an article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch about him. I'd post the link, but the article is old enough that it's no longer free to read on the paper's website.

Archived