South Florida Nightly News Review on TVNT

RetroCirq

Well Britney Spears isn't the only person that has a disasterous opening to a much touted performance. Here in South Florida, WTVJ's highly touted 7pm Newscast, dubbed "South Florida Nightly News," tries to go on the scale of Canada's CityPulse/News. In only the first 8 mins of the newscast, Jackie Nespral had to read copy, after copy, after copy, WITHOUT Breathing; it was so-fast, I checked the alarm clock. How can people keep up with Jackie N's headline reading, BREATHE B!TCH. But there is a brighter side to the newscast, we don't get to hear too much stories on how many people got shot every day, like WSVN.

Adding to the piece of the pie was Joe Rose's sports commentary entiled "Not Your Average Joe" in which he tried to pull a joke, but it falls flat on the viewers face. As a young viewer, I was hoping that SFl Nightly News would be on the quality scale of WNBC's NY Nightly News with Chuck Scarbourough.That is less fluff stories about Spears and a new gadget called VuDu (voodoo), and more stories that affect Miami-Ft. Lauderdale.

I hope WTVJ learns a lesson from CBS when they touted Katie Couric and how they spent more than $15 million creating a big splash for the national newscasts. Sadly, after seeing the money spent on ad space and airtime alone, it looked like it was still in beta mode.

Merv Griffin's Crosswords was more enjoyable than this.

Well Britney Spears isn't the only person that has a disasterous opening to a much touted performance. Here in South Florida, WTVJ's highly touted 7pm Newscast, dubbed "South Florida Nightly News," tries to go on the scale of Canada's CityPulse/News. In only the first 8 mins of the newscast, Jackie Nespral had to read copy, after copy, after copy, WITHOUT Breathing; it was so-fast, I checked the alarm clock. How can people keep up with Jackie N's headline reading, BREATHE B!TCH. But there is a brighter side to the newscast, we don't get to hear too much stories on how many people got shot every day, like WSVN.

Adding to the piece of the pie was Joe Rose's sports commentary entiled "Not Your Average Joe" in which he tried to pull a joke, but it falls flat on the viewers face. As a young viewer, I was hoping that SFl Nightly News would be on the quality scale of WNBC's NY Nightly News with Chuck Scarbourough.That is less fluff stories about Spears and a new gadget called VuDu (voodoo), and more stories that affect Miami-Ft. Lauderdale.

I hope WTVJ learns a lesson from CBS when they touted Katie Couric and how they spent more than $15 million creating a big splash for the national newscasts. Sadly, after seeing the money spent on ad space and airtime alone, it looked like it was still in beta mode.

Merv Griffin's Crosswords was more enjoyable than this.

Don't expect too much.

regarding Nes. speech speed----she is cuban. She'll talk fast. - not a racist comment, just a fact. People have commented that the news at 6 is too slow, well they put her on the spot, gave her 7 coladas before they went to air and voila! They have an anchor which can read War and Peace in 28:30. Actually, she speaks that way without coladas.

Why would anyone expect NBC6 or any station to be creative and do something different? Creative changes have not happened since tv went to color! Basically, it is the same news now as then, just more of it, and a wider definition of what is news. Most of the crap which airs as "news" today would not have been news 25, 30, or more years ago. It has changed to the theory that everything is news to someone. - a bunch of crap.

In this world today, not too much new exists. - certainly not in tv news. Look at what NBC has done to Today, why not just name it the Today network?

Don't expect too much.

Archived