Baltimore/Washington, D.C. Markets

WesX1469

I'm moving to Maryland soon and was looking into the markets near and around Baltimore/D.C.. I want to find out what are the better stations and what are the ones to stay away from. What ones are easier to get into and what ones offer the better wages and benefits. Any inside info on any of the places would be helpful, hiring managers, contact info, etc.

I am looking for any production job. I understand you start at the bottom and usually work your way up. Part-time, full-time, temporary, whatever I can do to get my foot in the door.

Any info would be much appreciated. :o

Most of us here are fans and don't work in the biz, so we probably can't help you... I do know that WRC is #1 and WUSA is #3/4, but the last place station isn't necessarily the worst place to work. It would be better to ask at a place like Medialine or TVSpy.

All of the stations in both of these markets are owned by two or three of the major television station groups, with the lone exception (possibly) of WJLA which is an Albritton station (most of their stations are in the south and southeast while the rest of the ownership groups are fairly evenly spread out across the country). For benefit and ballpark salary info, you can look up their corporate websites (look under the job listings) or follow it from the job listings page on the individual stations websites.

Baltimore

WJZ - CBS O&O

WBAL - Heart-Argyle

WMAR - Scripps-Howard

WBFF & WNUV - Sinclair

DC

WUSA - Gannett

WJLA - Albritton

WRC - NBC O&O

WTTG & WDCA - Fox O&Os

WDCW - Tribune (No news)

Unfortunately a lot of positions formerly filled by "production" personnel are now (or are in the process of being) automated. That's not to say there isn't opportunities for behind-the-scenes production personnel, its just more limited.

If you are close enough, you might try the DC submarket of Hagerstown, MD. While there is only one network affiliate there (WHAG-25-NBC), you might have a better opportunity for advancement through on-the-job training (for both on-air and behind-the-scenes) that would give you experience to move into a primary DC market station down the road.

Good luck!

WRC 4 Is the NBC station (an O&O) which has been in 1st place for 12 years since 95. The main anchors have been there for more than 20 years and they do the hour long 6PM and the 11PM show. The 5PM show is solo anchored by a long time anchor after the other long time co-anchor was let go. The long time sports anchor (30 years) left this year. WRC premiered one of the nation's (on the east coast) 4PM news anchored by 2 long time anchors. The morning & midday news (not at noon it is at 11AM) also have two long time anchors. Despite some ratings droops the station still does well and is generally number 1. 11AM & 4PM newscasts can be seen on their website. WRC's main Anchors are Jim Vance & Doreen Gentzler.

WTTG 5 is the FOX station (an O&O) has been doing news since the 70's with the number 1 10PM newscast (and the only one in the market) and then they launched the first 4 hour newscast FOX 5 Morning News (which is number 1) then the former noon newscast was moved to 11AM and expanded to an hour. A 5-6PM newscast was added in 2002. A 11PM Newscast (A rarity) was added in 2006 and is done by a solo-anchor. A 6PM broadcast was added this year as a solo-anchor newscast. 5 does very well in the ratings. They also have a 5PM weekend newscast on weekends for a half-hour. WTTG's main anchors are at 10PM only and they are Brian Bolter & Shawn Yancy.

WJLA 7 is the ABC station was the long time dormat in the ratings until they hired Maureen Bunyan to anchor their news (she was a longtime anchor at WUSA from 1973 to 1995 when she left after passing on a pay cut and a demotion), ratings improved somewhat, but they got a boost in the ratings when they hired former CNN anchor Leon Harris to be 5PM & 11PM Anchor, but ratings shot up even more when they hired Maureen's former partner at WUSA Gordon Peterson (who had worked there since 1969!) to be 6PM co-anchor in 2004. Rating have gone done slightly since then but have stayed steady since then. Though 7 has it problems they have not a full-time 5PM co-anchor since last year, they also don't have full-time weekend evening anchors, they also don't have any weekend morning newscasts. All newscasts can be seen online. WJLA's main anchors are Maureen Bunyan, Gordon Peterson, and Leon Harris

WUSA is the CBS station in town it was the longtime leader till 95 when it fell to second in recent they have fallen to third or four in most slots. WUSA's longtime Main Anchors were Maureen Bunyan & Gordon Peterson they anchored the news for many years till 95 when Maureen left, Gordon stayed at the station till 2004 anchoring the news with longtime anchor Andrea Roane (now on mornings) from 1995 till 2001 and with Gunvir Denvisha (now on WTTG mornings). Till he left. The station has struggled in most slots since then. They are 2nd/3rd at 11PM, last at 5PM (4th place) and 1st at noon. WUSA's longtime anchors include Andrea Roane & J.C. Hayward (who has been at WUSA for 35 years and has been the main co-anchor in past years) The main anchors are Tracy Neale who joined the station from WTTG where she anchored the 10PM news replaced Gunvir. Todd McDermott formerly of WCBS who replaced Gordon. Derek McGinty formerly of ABC News.

Check Wikipedia for more and i'll have my Baltimore info soon.

This guy is looking for more than what's seen on the outside (ratings and stuff), but the management, etc. and how they treat their employees. As I said, this really isn't the place to ask, it's better to go to Medialine or TVSpy for that. I have seen on sites like those to avoid Sinclair, so don't go to WBFF.

Thanks everybody for your responses. As Ntropolis said I am looking for insider info. The outside info isn't bad either though. It's good to know how the stations are rated and how they operate.

Tim-In-Houston listed all the stations in the Baltimore/D.C. markets but are there any others like CNN, CSPAN, etc. that are in that area?

I definitely know to stay away from Sinclair. I heard nothing but bad things about them. Them and Nexstar seem to be the 2 companies to stay away from.

Thanks again for all your help. Any info at all is very helpful. :)

All of the networks have bureaus and/or studios in DC in order to cover the US Government. What their requirements are for employment, I couldn't tell you.

Again, the problem with the networks is that a lot of the behind-the-scenes technical jobs are being more and more automated and the promotion-production and news-production jobs are like to have certain degree requirements or experience requirements (or both) - especially at the network level.

One I forgot to mention earlier is the PBS affiliate in DC, WETA-TV. They produce quite a bit of content for the national PBS feed ("The Newshour," for one and I think "The McLaughlin Group" is taped there, even though its local affiliate is WRC) as well as locally-focused programming. Being a PBS station they likely rely heavily on volunteers to fill production positions, but sometimes those volunteer jobs can lead to staff positions...and if nothing else you can definately list the experience on your resume that comes from volunteering.

Again, to echo some of the other comments: you're not going to get much "insider" information simply because none of us are actually employed at any of the stations in the DC area. I can only go by what little I know of the business based upon past experiences, limited as it may be.

Unfortunately, DC and Baltimore being the 6th and 24th largest markets, respectively, are going to expect a good bit of prior experience even for entry level production jobs. Yeah, Nexstar has a bad reputation for cutting corners and being cheap, but you have to ask yourself this: is it worth putting up with a cheap company for a year or two to gain the experience to move on and up to bigger and better things?

I appreciate all your help. You never know who knows who where and it doesn't hurt to try.

I know DC being a #9 market they are gonna want a good history of experience. I have worked at a Nexstar station in the past and I know they do cut corners and they are very cheap but it gave me good experience. I personally have over 10 years experience in the business. Now I'm always worried that a lot of experience is too much experience. The problem with this business isn't really what you know or how long you've done it for, it's who you know where and personally I only know one person at one station in the DC/Baltimore area which really isn't helping me get in anywhere. That's why I'm looking for any insider info on hiring managers or people who might work in a place that knows what they are looking for.

Thanks again everybody for all your help. All help is greatly appreciated! :o

Tim-In-Houston listed all the stations in the Baltimore/D.C. markets but are there any others like CNN, CSPAN, etc. that are in that area?

I know the major nets have Washington DC Bureaus there, as well as station groups (Hearst, Tribune, COX, and perhaps a few others).

Many international nets have DC Bureaus (AJI, BBC, etc).

I'd be inclined to think that Baltimore is slim pickings.

There a two markets just outside DC and Baltimore between 90 minutes and 2 1/2 hours away. Salisbury, MD and Charlottesville-Harrisonburg, VA.

These are perfect to get you sea-legs in broadcasting (well media anyway.) Salisbury is over 100 plus miles east from D.C. and Baltimore.

There 2 tv stations:

WBOC-TV 16 CBS (also owns digital FOX 21)

WMDT-TV 47 ABC (also owns digital CW 3)

In Charlottesville, VA about 150 miles west of DC and Baltimore.

WVIR-TV 29 NBC

WCAV-TV 19 CBS(operates WAHU FOX27 WVAW ABC 16/ WHSV-TV 3 ABC in Harrisonburg.)

WHTJ-TV 41 PBS.

There is a few stations on the western end of the DC Market in Hagerstown, MD area,

that appeals to entry level folks.

WHAG-TV 25 NBC

WWBP-TV 31 PBS (A part of Maryland Public Television network)

WJAL-TV 68 IND (Local independent station no news)

Hope this helps. :)

Archived