4pm news in Yuma, AZ?!?

l14dap

I'm sure no one gives a flip about the Yuma, AZ market (DMA#165), but something interesting is happening in their TV market. Plus it's my hometown. KSWT, the CBS affiliate for Yuma, AZ/El Centro, CA, will be DOUBLING the amount of news they have. Currently they only have weekday newscasts at 6pm and 10pm and weekends at 10pm.

Starting October 1, KSWT will be adding additional newscasts at 4pm, 4:30pm, and 5:30pm. For such a small market, I'm surprised they're taking a chance on a 4pm newscast (still no morning/noon or early weekend newscasts in the near future). They've always had a small on-air staff compared to NBC affiliate KYMA, which makes it even more surprising.

$3 says it won't last long. Local news gets a bad wrap in that town for some reason.

I'm sure no one gives a flip about the Yuma, AZ market (DMA#165), but something interesting is happening in their TV market. Plus it's my hometown. KSWT, the CBS affiliate for Yuma, AZ/El Centro, CA, will be DOUBLING the amount of news they have. Currently they only have weekday newscasts at 6pm and 10pm and weekends at 10pm.

Starting October 1, KSWT will be adding additional newscasts at 4pm, 4:30pm, and 5:30pm. For such a small market, I'm surprised they're taking a chance on a 4pm newscast (still no morning/noon or early weekend newscasts in the near future). They've always had a small on-air staff compared to NBC affiliate KYMA, which makes it even more surprising.

$3 says it won't last long. Local news gets a bad wrap in that town for some reason.

I wonder if KECY will be adding news now that they're the ABC station there....according to Wikipedia, they used to have a newscast when they were a CBS station

Pappas (KSWT's owner) seems to really be making a serious push in the news arena. KMPH seems to be expanding, and KREN in Reno launched their newscast in HD (as Reno's first local "early" news)

I wonder if KECY will be adding news now that they're the ABC station there....according to Wikipedia, they used to have a newscast when they were a CBS station

KECY is operated by the same company (News-Press & Gazette Company) that owns KESQ in Palm Springs. If KECY were to start a newscast, my prediction would be that it would be produced by KESQ up north.

Pappas (KSWT's owner) seems to really be making a serious push in the news arena. KMPH seems to be expanding, and KREN in Reno launched their newscast in HD (as Reno's first local "early" news)

The primary affiliation for KECY is still FOX. ABC is on a digital subchannel. Considering that 40% of the market has DISH or DirecTV neither of which provide local channels, only about half the market can see it. When KECY was producing news, they had a real studio. They now operate out of the back of an electronics store.

Since Pappas doesn't have a house in Yuma, the only new equipment KSWT will get for the additional news is more duct tape and rubber bands.

Archived