WPLG reporter arrested

Guest cfif

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/miami/sfl-1023guntoschool,0,6785049.story?track=rss

WPLG-Ch. 10 Reporter Jeff Weinsier was charged this afternoon with bringing a gun to Miami Central High School in Northwest Miami-Dade.

He was covering a news story at the school when he was arrested, WPLG reported. The station, on its evening newscast, aired footage showing Miami-Dade Schools police officers asking Weinsier and a cameraman to move across the street from the campus, with Weinsier, who was on the sidewalk in front of the school building, asking why he had to move if he was on public property.

WPLG officials said this evening that they were reviewing the matter but declined to comment further.

The station reported that Weinsier, 40, has a concealed weapons permit and that he was carrying a gun because he had received threats stemming from his ongoing restaurant hygiene series "Dirty Dining."

Weinsier, who also was charged with resisting arrest without violence, was released Tuesday night from the Miami-Dade County Pre-Trial Detention Center after posting an $11,500 bond.

I don't have a problem with him having a gun [especially since he had a permit], but (supposedly)taking it to a school is not the world's brightest idea.

And for some good old fashioned lulz, here's our good friend Aeverine Nieves' take:

So I am watching a newscast this morning on Indianapolis TV and when I saw a WPLG reporter being arrested. What in Carmen San Diego is wrong when WPLG reporter Jeff Weisner was told to leave when he is doing a got dang story on school violence (I don't think it is against the law to do a story at a school and thank God I don't believe in guns--just mace) and go across the street from the school, but Weisnier said he was on a public sidewalk (personally I believe a sidewalk is public property.) The first time I saw that story, I almost puked.

Is it just that it is a Hoosier submitting a Florida story, or is this the most SHOCKING story that Florida News Center has ever seen?

Archived